Apr 19

Introduction to the Asylum experience, and thoughts on how life happens when you least expect it to.

Posted on Friday, April 19, 2013 in The Asylum Experience

I’m not a great person for sticking to routines, but routines are exactly what are needed when you need to run a family effectively. For this reason, life began to seem monochrome, sounds were just a distant hairdryer hum and feelings needed shelving like books you keep meaning to read but never get around to opening.

This doesn’t make for effective blogging, the inspiration is distant, just out of sight. The motivation to comment becomes thwarted by lack of lust for life and the impression that there really isn’t anything interesting to say.

Now, I have something interesting to say.

I was invited on an enormous adventure recently which finished today. My head is full of thoughts and feelings and words and emotions, far too many to spill on to one page so instead I’ll begin a series of posts, beginning with this one.

-o-

A while back, I became lucky enough to become friends with a wonderful family through Puppychild’s school. They introduced me to many things outside my comfort zone… music performance, yoga, how to properly cook healthy food and share it socially to name but a few. They also invited me to participate on a television program which is to be aired on an Irish channel later this year.

I was invited on the basis of my experience with Laughingboy and his special needs, and was considered a good potential candidate to look after eight children on an adventure which involved love, friendship and overcoming pre-conceptions and gut-wrenching fears. I can’t begin to describe how lucky I am to have experienced this. I’m going to try to bring every memory back for you, and for myself before it fades into distant memory and I don’t believe that it was in fact, real at all.

My story involves befriending Mr World, becoming a stooge, plunging from a 250ft cliff, and the death of Wouldye, my bestest friend, among others. To say it’s been a challenge is a massive understatement.

To start, here is a photo taken in Montezuma, Costa Rica:

montezuma

And now… to begin at the beginning…

Heavenly spot, It’s on my bucket list.

2. I’m glad you had a great time and got home safe. I can’t wait to hear/read the stories! :)

By the way, great shot!

The horizon in the photo is a little off. Could you nip over and take the shot again please?

Why didn’t you take me with you? I want to go to Costa Rica in the winter!

5. […] didn’t know a whole lot when I entered into this. I knew that a documentary was being filmed about eight transition-year kids (all aged 16/17); four […]

Granny; They have one of the highest survival rates of octogenarians on the planet. You’ve a while to go before you octogenate though.

Jefferson; Thanks for sticking round :) It is a great shot but it didn’t do the thundering waves any justice at all.

Grandad; The horizon was fine, it was my camera that melted. It was fierce hot over there.

Brian; DO IT! If you’re looking for a good place to surf let me know.

7. Ginger Mick says:

Costa bloody Rica!

8. Ginger Mick says:

Oh dear! Sorry to hear about Wouldye.

9. Ah brilliant. Let the frequent blog updates begin! :)
    Sorry to hear about Wouldye.

Ginger Mick; I promise I didn’t have any fun over there, if that helps.

DigitalDarragh; Haha if my kids and my division let me!!!

Cheers for condolences on doggy, I’m still in denial. Writing might help so beware depressing post alert!

11. Kirk M says:

Late to the gate as usual.

Sorry about the bestest friend. Lost a few of those 4 legged bestest friends myself. But I always met new ones in the end.

This old bugger named Grandad hinted around that you were on a grand adventure some time back. Health problems kept me from my usual late night wandering about cyberspace. Very happy that you got the chance!

I shall read on…