Aug 8

Erudition regarding knackers

Posted on Wednesday, August 8, 2012 in Family, Something to think about

Okay so you may or may not remember a post I wrote four years ago in which I slagged the knackers… I’m still not sure whether I meant that stuff or not. It was sort of knee-jerk, but I didn’t take it away because it was heartfelt too, and it was also my second most commented upon post and I’m shallow like that. But that was then.

Here’s my story for today:

Puppychild bursts through the front door with gusto, gushing about a party that is to be taking place the next day, at 3pm. She begs me to go, there is little reason why she should not, given that the party is in a house but twenty footsteps away and we are doing nothing else that day. The family of the child that is having the party is hovering outside and pregnant for my answer.

Thing is, the child that is having said party is a traveller. This is also why saying ‘no’ was difficult, for what reason would I give aul’ Puppychild?

I said yes, after ten seconds of frantic deliberation.

I bought a cheapo teddy random collectible for the kid. She’s a sweetie… she seems to have respect for me and asks me questions and lets me ask questions in return. Her family have been seen to throw rubbish around, the father bulldozed a cyclist once as he was pulling into the estate, he attempted a hit-and-run, but he drove home which was all of twenty feet away and promptly got busted. I swear, you can’t make this shit up. The younger sister of this family wanders into unlocked houses and cars and takes random things. It’s all very spurious.

But still, Puppychild’s pavee buddy is all of six years old.

I had frantic discussions with The Accidental Terrorist last night, we spoke about prejudice and why sometimes it is not and is deserved, and why it might not be, and why travellers may or may not be likened to the Mississippi fiasco. We argued about age, and development and building harmful bridges and burning same. It was all very confusing, and we agreed to give up, as you do.

The party came and went.

It turns out, that of all of the children in our estate (that would be twelve and a half (net) children) that were invited, only one turned up.

Puppychild gave said kiddo the cheapo teddy, kiddo played with that teddy that whole day and loved it to pieces, instantly.

We got a HUGE slice of cake delivered to the door a few hours after Puppychild came home.

I’m not sure whether to be happy,

or sad.

Wow! That would be a tough one. At least you were the one to rise above.

2. Debbie says:

Learning generosity and acceptance at an early age is important. There is plenty of time to develop wariness as life gets more complicated. You are her guide, so she will learn all the lessons well.

3. I wasn’t quite sure how to phrase what I wanted to say, but it seems that the person above me has said it perfectly: so I ditto Debbie! And I think I’d also add that prejudice can feed negative behaviour (and vice versa) so any safe opportunity to break down that kind of cycle can only be a good thing. Plus there was cake ;)

4. thats such a bitter sweet story i mean for puppy child to be the only guest there at that childs birthday party. I suppose though it was good that the little traveller child had support with puppy child being there but you know yourself you damned if you do and damned if you dont especially in this life. but you got me thinking here about this and more now.

Oh, oh. You did the right thing. That’s a sad story. Be happy you took the chance.

6. Kirk M says:

This is akin to being friends with “Carnies” which is anyone associated with a traveling carnival. Traveling carnivals are practically an American tradition over here and for the folks that are involved, the carnival is their only home. All they do is travel from one gig to another all year, camping along the way.

The major difference is that once you befriend one of them as I have done more than once, you befriend nearly the all the carnies in that carnival. Sure, there’s always bad ones but like everywhere else, they’re few and far between.

BrianF; Neighbours don’t see it as rising above… they call me foolish and naive. I am awfully conflustered.

Debbie; I agree! That veil of complication is tough to describe to small children, mostly because it doesn’t need to be there at all maybe. Thanks for commenting on this.

Jenny; Nice cake too! It was one of those death-by-chocolate types with extra cream and chunky fruity bits hidden in the middle. Nom.

Vicky; Thanks for commenting, it’s true about there being no true right or wrong… I guess it’s just about taking chances and hoping against being burned.

Jo; I’m glad it worked out, it was worth the various arguments I’ve had with people about it. Kiddo’s happy so that’s good… at least until she turns 14 and begins the more dramatic requests!

Kirk; Halloo! How goes it? I’ve been stalking but not commenting, I’m useless at this blogging lark. Carnies unnerve me too but seem more obvious in their agenda than Travellers. Either seems bent on gaining your trust but has no real interest in keeping it. When you live permanently with such a folk it gets more complicated though, I don’t think they like to sh1t on their proverbial doorsteps but I could be wrong. I need to talk to the missuz I think, but I have no idea what to say.

8. Holemaster says:

My mother had a lot of time for travelers. She had a deep sense of humanity that reached across all boundaries. All she saw was a family trying get by. We had a family who called every Saturday to get a bag of tea or a bottle of milk or some clothes. My mother knew the names of all the kids.

We weren’t allowed to close the front door while getting their box of tea or whatever. We were told, leave the door open and let them know you trust them. It was about dignity we were told – ours as much as theirs.