Jun 14

A nation of pigs

Posted on Tuesday, June 14, 2011 in Family, Little known facts, On the box

Something is happening to the children of Ireland. Since I’ve twigged its cause, I’m seeing it more and more every day… or rather hearing it.

Just as the older kids are all awesoming in their slightly yankee twangs, the smaller ones are picking up weird but very sweet English accents which fall out in questions and inflections and introductions like these:

-Hellaw, mai name is Peppa Pig, and this is my little brutha Geoooooooje.

-I thought your name was Sarah?

-Neeeeuo. It’s Peppa Pig, and he is my little brutha Geooooooooooje!

It’s the fathers of Ireland that I feel sorry for. Peppa’s father Daddy Pig (obviously), is portrayed as an awful gobshite. His entire family constantly poke fun at his obesity and make him run and climb things because they know he’ll make a tit of himself and they can all point and laugh. He’s hopeless at flat-pack assembly and general DIY and while this may be true for a lot of Irish men, they don’t need reminding of it so harshly.

AND I worry about the erosion potential of Irish soil… our government will have to pay out millions to fix the pot-hole damage caused by the increase in incidents of children (and adults) jumping in muddy puddles. It’s all very irresponsible.

Photobucket

Bansky’s image

Ban Peppa Pig!

… ah no I’m on’y messing. I do love her so.

Homer Simpson started the appreciation society of useless Husbands, not good not clever.

She’s a horrible role model! The whining! And yes, that is not a happy Pig Marriage, I don’t think. Fierce self esteem erosion.

The Tweenies, though, that got to me too, so much.

As to my children’s distorted accents, I have a whole ran coming on about that.

Granny; I can’t think of any positive paternal role models on television for children, come to think of it. What’s that all about?

Jo; I’m a huge fan of Grizzly Tales for Gruesome Kids… scaring good behaviour into them is a great idea!! I think the fact that our kids pick up accents so quickly is lovely, means they have musical talents :)

4. Tinman says:

Could be worse, when I was a kid they had the Clangers on TV, we ended up talking like them.

5. Tinman says:

And where the hell did that Gravatar of me come from?

I look like Daddy Pig’s pet wallaby.

Something tells me I live a much richer life not knowing what a Peppa Pig is.
    Oh dear God! I just clicked on the link and now I know what a Peppa Pig is. My life was better before.

I remember the Clangers! It was like watching a lava-lamp.
    PS. Yer only gorgeous!

Howyeh Brian, she’s an opiate around here, endorsed up the yahoo… every child knows who Peppa Pig is, it’s very strange.
    A part of you wants to watch it, admit it!

9. Holemaster says:

I take it this is something you don’t get unless you have kids.

I’m with Tinman on The Clangers – it was like I knew what they were saying. If fairness though, it was usually pretty obvious: “Oh look, there’s a ball of wool floating towards us”.

We are the Clanger generation, and we’re fairly messed up as it is… can you imagine the Peppa Pig generation as adults?? The future is a giant muddy puddle.