Nov 23

Playing God

Posted on Tuesday, November 23, 2010 in Family, Little known facts, Philosophy, Rantings, Something to think about

Try to imagine for a few minutes that you’re a Deity, a remote entity looking after a country roughly the size of France, and in this country there are several billion people all milling around doing their workaday jobs and living happily.

Life is good for this country for several years, you’re doing a good job it would seem. Then one day a small group of terrorists moves in to the country and starts creating havoc… what would you do to take care of your country?

Would you:

a) Detonate an atomic bomb thus killing said terrorists instantly, and sacrifice several billion happy people so that your country is doomed to restart its population from scratch?

b) Recognise that the country’s own law inforcement is making good progress with the identification and capture of these terrorists, and maybe help them along a bit with re-inforcements via your super powers?

c) Run away?

-o0o-

Sir Fartsalot developed a fairly high fever last week, bugs are rampant this time of year and I had run away to Galway for a girlish weekend thus depriving him of my antibacterial b@@b juice… a bad dose of the snots had taken hold of him. Immediately I was faced with the question above, and from all angles I was ordered to choose answer (a) and it was inferred that I would be a bad mother not to.

“Bring down that fever!! Bring him to the doctor and get him antibiotics!!! Quick!!!”

What nobody seems to realise, is that a fever in a person (above the age of… say six months let’s say) is a very GOOD thing. It means that the body realises there’s something wrong, and it’s reacted by kicking all self defence mechanisms into gear. Roast dem germs out. Swollen glands rock!

Why everybody has this urge to dose a fever with paracetamol in order to surpress it is beyond me. Why I’m ordered to nuke the kid’s immune system with antibiotics is just plain lunacy!! Yet, it’s an argument I have again, and again, and again, and usually my theory works but nobody seems to notice. Echinacea, a good diet and gallons of water works most of the time… the chidler’s antibody population blooms.

Weird.

This phobia we have, this distrust in our own immune systems is a beautiful cash-cow for pharmaceutical companies, but people are blind to it. They have us terrified of influenza under any name, they have us overdosing on vaccinations, and they terrify us with threats of the potential with that ever-steady mantra they sing: ‘better safe than sorryyyy!’

It’s all bollocks, I say. Not nearly enough stock is placed in a mother’s instinct like it used to, but then again there’s no money in that so things shall remain exactly as they are and I shall argue and be deemed a bad mother and I don’t care one little bit.

1. Simon says:

Hear, Hear!
    A woman after my own heart.

2. Kirk M says:

Oh look. A mother with some common sense. An endangered species for sure. ;)

True enough though. Load them up with antibiotics every time they looked a little “off peak” and all you’ve accomplished is raising a child to adulthood with stunted immune system. Kind of like stunted growth but with a chronic runny nose and sore throat. Of course leaving a fever go too long is another thing entirely. Antibiotics do have their purpose sometimes.

As far as the first part of your post is concerned–bomb them all and go find another country to look after. Good thing I’m not a deity isn’t it?

3. Holemaster says:

Yep, people are too disconnected from nature.

My latest habit is drinking detox tea and then going to bed as my stomach gurgles me to sleep. I imagine all the toxic bits breaking down and disintegrating and getting zapped by the toxicons!

4. unstranger says:

Nor should you. My own mother showed me the truth in what is ‘a mother’s wisdom’ – many times.
    Welcome to your true destiny K8.
    And absolutely love the Galway buzz too.
    Great city.

Depends on the fever. If there’s an infection, hit it with antibiotics but yeh, they’re over prescribed. Although there’s nothing pretty about a fibrillating baby.

I always ran mad fevers – up to 104. My mother worried about me til she realised it’s just what I did. Crash out and burn it off. My brother too. Healthy kids can do it.

You can take down a fever with wet socks with wool ones over them, and a cool damp towel on the tummy too.

Also, Belladonna sorts those radiator fevers out too.

Simon; Nice one :)

Kirk; Antibiotics are like those cheesy trigger-happy Generals in U.S. flicks… first sign of an invasion and they want to nuke the world! Not that that wouldn’t be fun to watch though.

Holemaster; Fair play to you. It takes some stomach to handle that stuff! I believe in the antibacterial properties of alcohol, me.

Unstranger; It was the road-trip I loved… all of a sudden Galway doesn’t seem as far away as it used to!

Baino; Oh God yeah, there are those signs that point to the more serious stuff, I by no means meant to be glib! It pays to be armed with the right information though.

Jo; Did you ever experience the sleep-walking buzz during childhood fevers? They were so insanely vivid, not sure I miss them.
    Belladonna – I’ll be trying that stuff next time! Thanks :)