Nov 6

Burning the cradle at both ends

Posted on Saturday, November 6, 2010 in Family, Jobs, Philosophy, Rantings

Photobucket

Every day.  Every sodding day.

Every day I wake up and swear blind that I’ll go to bed early for a change.  I hate waking up… that is I hate waking up when I know I have to get up;  I love waking up and finding out that I don’t have to get up for another two hours, no surprise there, my homo brethriens.  My best friend is the snooze button on my mobile phone (the same phone I won two years ago!  I’ll miss my Ericsson should I ever go iPhonebound).

It’s just so HARD to go to bed at night.

From 08:00 to 21:00 every day, I belong to somebody else, many people in fact.  Six dependants depend on me to keep them alive and happy, and this causes quite a lot of noise, because I can’t deal with them all at once:  My baby needs input and a clean bum-hole.  My eldest son needs music and attention and someone to remind him to stop grinding his teeth.  My daughter loves to hang around with me and do things with me and asks me constantly to look at her doing funny things, which is a beautiful gift and something I adore and enjoy very much, but only in medium doses.  My dog needs exercise, a luxury I’m too lazy to afford him which cuts me up, and he whines and gives me big dark sad eyes to rub salt on the wound.  My cat meanders around my busy feet and trips me up…  and through it all, my husband needs silence while he sleeps.  Daytime silence, three children and a large dog – these are difficult things to shuffle!!

-o0o-

And so the last child is tucked into bed, and Einstein’s theory of relativity kicks in.

Silence.  Pure, peaceful silence, the possiblities endless.

And so I dive for the fridge for a can of beer, and I wonder how to fill my night.  And while I wonder how to fill my night, I fall into the Facebook pit and drown in stupid television and give in to the munchies and waste my hours on pointlessness.  When 11pm comes round, I feel unfulfilled and ignored.  I can’t go to bed unfulfilled and ignored!!!

-o0o-

It seems to be a common theme among people, that need to burn the candle at both ends.  Two hours of selfish time is just not enough when you’re a nightowl like me.  Sleep tortures us and wakes us up at night time and hates us the next day, and stolen naps create demons with sticky eyes, it’s just not fair.  You know what I mean.

I vote for a re-jigging of the 24 hour clock… Days should be longer and weeks shorter for starters, I bet the moon would be up for that.  The sun might get in the way somewhat but we’d get used to it pretty quickly with a bit of black-out lining and a heavy duvet.  It can’t be all that difficult to arrange, the re-invention of time!?

The three day week… yet another thing I’d do if I was Teeshirt.

Sigh. I hear ya sister. Come see me one morning next week and have a more fulfilled day!

“…and waste my hours on pointlessness”
    It’s called ‘unwinding’ or ‘decompressing’
    “I feel unfulfilled and ignored”
    How can you feel unfulfilled after a day of spending your time taking care of three children and a TAT? Ignored I can understand and feel for ya’.
    Your rewards will come when you see your children grow beyond your apron strings. Keep up the good work and remember than you have the greatest job in the world, Mom.

3. Oh god dont i know that feeling of lack of sleep. expect my lack of sleep has been caused by falling for someone had that lives on the other side of the world. Hmm i dont know if this will help but reflexology might actaully help your sleep issues. i was having no sleep for the last year and half. Due to ahem getting kicked out of bed and someone chattering their teeth. Since i have now kicked the perosn to touch and have taken up reflexology i do feel some what better within myself.

if it also helps i would recommand a hopi ear candling session. This migh also help you to sleep. I was just also wondering is tom sleeping thru out the night or is he waking up during the night.

I would also try and get well some time management advise on how to plan your day. before you say anything its how do you say easily done to manage a busy family day but again we all have things to do. If you want i can be on hand to offer treatments on reflexology and massage at any given time.

but again i know the whole FB addication can be massively tiring. If you do need any treatments give me a tinkle and i can arrange a few sessions for you. I do hope you feel better soon and lets hope you do get a goodnights sleep.

4. This Limbo says:

Another tremendous post K8. I too am a nightowl. They say it has something to do with the time of day you were born. I landed on earth at 2am. Have loved night and hated any hour before midday ever since.

K8. was born at 6pm. It may be in her genetic’s

The big problem is that you get so conditioned, even when they’re in their 20’s you rise at 5 and go to bed at 11. Sorry, I know you didn’t want to hear that.

Jo; I’ve been trying so hard to escape to you, they have me on a tight leash but I’m wriggling like crazy.

Brian; Thanks man, it’s true what you say. But the cranium is getting saggy, I feel dementia setting in!

Vicki; You’re a sweetheart to offer, such a handy skill you have :) My torture’s self inflicted though, not much to do with my chakras at all.

This Limbo; Night time is so much friendlier! Mornings peer in my window and make me feel like I should be out and about getting shit done, that’s mean.

Granny; I always thought I was born at 3pm? That puts my numerology charts way out of whack, dammit.

Baino; I’ll never acclimatise! I suspect you’re a closet morning head really :-p

8. unstranger says:

I do believe we all have that problem. It’s probably due to the stupid gene having kicked in. No escape from the genes I’m afraid.

I blame fluorescent lighting.