Aug 28

There’s always somebody worse off than you.

Posted on Saturday, August 28, 2010 in Strange and Unusual

It’s articles like these that turn my whinge level down to a dull peep.
LT Ariyawathi is a 49-year old mother of three from Sri Lanka, who has just returned home after five months in Saudi Arabia where she worked as a maid. The couple she worked for decided to punish LT’s complaints of an overly heavy workload by hammering 24 nails into her hands, legs and forehead.¬†

(Found at Nothing To Do With Arbroath)

“They told me they would slit my throat if I screamed, so I had to keep silent and bear it. What else could I do?”

I love horror films for the fact that they’re purely the product of someone’s deranged sense of fantasy, but there’s always that nagging queasy feeling that there are actually people out there who will happily drive red hot nails into someone else’s body for kicks. Horror flicks are just life, regurgitated.

Of course the worst thing about it is that there are thousands of people in an even worse condition than LT, that’s the real melon twister. My ingrown toenail seems suddenly like a blessing by comparison.

I work for a bunch of Lebanese arabs who told me about this, they were horrified, just shows how we assume everyone with an Arabic name is capable of such horror when it’s a few that give many a bad name. Man’s inhumanity to man is palpable, how the hell did they expect her to work like that. Yep, we have much to be grateful for eh?

2. That really turned my stomach. I can’t believe things like this happen. I mean, I know they do… I just can’t understand how people can be so cruel to other people. You’re right: it really makes you stop and consider all the ways you’re lucky, doesn’t it? And there was me complaining about term starting on Wednesday…

Sweet Jesus.

Tell me what it is you like about horror films again?

4. Martin says:

On the other hand, at least she had a job.

Baino; The place or the people don’t really matter, weirdness isn’t picky about geography too much. It’s the stoicism that gets me, it seems to be limited to certain parts of the world because the rest of us are real whiners!

Jenny; Yes but think of all the relief and peace and quiet you’re affording parents all over your country. You should be proud!

Jo; It’s practice for my fear muscles, should I ever need them. When the man with the big stick comes looking for my money, I’ll be ready with my pliers. :)

Martin; But no health insurance! D’oh.

6. paulo1 says:

The saddest part of this horror story is that since it happened in the benevolent kingdom of Saudi Arabia the chance of any sort of justice being rendered is exactly zero. That woman will have to live with her injuries and the savages who inflicted them will simply call the employment agency to send over a fresh one. Saudi Arabia civilised? only if you’re a Saudi.

“Nearly 2 million Sri Lankans sought employment overseas last year and around 1.4 million, mostly maids, were employed in the Middle East. Many have complained of physical abuse or harassment.”

I dragged that from the article linked above. If that doesn’t call for some sort of revolution, I’m not surprised Ireland is so quiet about its grievances.