Aug 23

The Health Fuckup Executive

Posted on Monday, August 23, 2010 in Family, Little known facts, Rantings

I’m very envious of those parents who can just bring their kids for vaccination jabs and be done with it, without worrying about what this stuff is actually doing to their immune systems.  My protests seem so absurd, why the hell not give the kid something to ward off deadly diseases if it’s freely available?!  How irresponsible am I to even CONSIDER not vaccinating them?  The dirty great big needles loom over my babies and I do it anyway.  Bar useless influenza jabs, the rest are just not worth gambling on, surely.

Puppychild got her two jabs against a multitude of diseases last month.  I got a nasty dose of the flu straight away, then passed it to the Accidental Terrorist who then caught pneumonia.  He’s been floored for almost three weeks, hemorrhaging money as he goes.  Coincidence?  Dunno.  Dunno.

Sir Fartsalot got a BCG (tuberculosis jab) on July 5th.  The teeny pinprick hole in his skin did not disappear, it slowly grew and grew, and turned into an abscess.  A large purple eye-shaped growth with a pus-green pupil gazes at me and wills me to prick it out of its misery and all the while my boy-o cries.  He cries when I feed him, when I pick him up, when I strap him into his car-seat, lots of tears and red-faced misery usually follow.  So much suffering, so much blood-stained gunge erupting from my babóg’s arm.

It’s so un-fucking-fair that the HSE cannot sort its shit out.

I read that in 2002, a previously dodgy EVANS BCG was withdrawn from public consumption, to be replaced by the SSI BCG.

An article written in 2005 states that there have been 152 reports of local complications like Sir Fartsalot’s since the new vaccine was rolled out.  I can only presume that the figure has doubled by now.  I brought the kid to the doctor, to a local A&E (where I was told to bugger off because they’re not insured to treat babies), and to a paediatric A&E.  They told me not to worry, that it was a normal reaction, that they get this sort of thing all the time.

ALL THE TIME???

I read that occasionally, such swellings result in lymph node infections which is a very serious thing indeed.

‘Not to worry!’ they say.  O, but I do worry.  I worry a lot.

Meanwhile Sir Farsalot hasn’t yet had his 6-in-1s, a process that was supposed to begin two months ago.  The vaccination program for children looks like this:

• At birth: BCG tuberculosis vaccine (given in maternity hospitals or a HSE clinic)
  • At 2 months: Diphtheria, Tetanus, Whooping cough, Hib, Polio, Hep B, PCV (Pnuemococcal Conjugate Vaccine)
  • At 4 months: Diphtheria, Tetanus, Whooping cough, Hib, Polio, Hep B, Meningococcal C.
  • At 6 months: Diphtheria, Tetanus, Whooping cough, Hib, Polio, Hep B, Meningococcal C, PCV (Pnuemococcal Conjugate Vaccine).
  • At 12 months: Measles, Mumps, Rubella, PCV (Pnuemococcal Conjugate Vaccine).
  • At 13 months: Meningococcal C, Haemophilus Influenzae B
  • At 4-5 years: Diphtheria, Tetanus, Whooping cough, Hib, Polio, Hep B, Meningococcal C; Measles, Mumps and Rubella (by second injection)
  • At 11-14 years: Diphtheria, Tetanus
  • At 12 years: Human Papillomavirus (Girlz only)

That looks like a rocky road to me.  A road full of miasms that will give our great-grandchildren strange side-effects, I fear.  I don’t know what to do.

Why on earth do people still trust the HSE after all its fuckups?  I sure as hell don’t, especially not with something as important as my kids, but yet those around me tell me I’m crazy.

Better crazy than dead though, hey?

For once I am at a loss for words, You never had half those jabs and You are a fine strappin lass!

2. Simon says:

“Life’s a bitch and then you die”
    I don’t know. I just really want to give you a big hug should we ever meet.

3. Kerryfelter says:

That’s a lot of jabs! My son is 7 yrs and I don’t remember him having so many. I think that are two more jabs before age 1 than when my son was a baby not so long ago. The BCG does leave a scar. You are dead right to be unhappy and question their policy. I think it’s far too many shots for a young baby. Seek 2nd and 3rd opinions.

Granny; That’s because of all the Guinness I drank as a toddler though.

Simon; It’s all that’s left really, hugs. :)

Kerryfelter; The 6-in-1 system is new, there were only four vaccinations before that, I can’t remember how often they were given but they were less frequent alright. I’m seeking advice from a homeopathic practitioner, the holistic idea appeals so much more.

Always a tough one this. I’m sorry little Fartsalot had such a nasty reaction but I’m still pro vaccination painful as it is when things go awry. Not a fan of the flu jabs. Neve had one and haven’t had flu since I was a child. Keep the faith kiddo, it’ll work out.

6. Oops. Typo there. bb isn’t my evil twin brother.

7. Meant to say, this health service costs just as much as grown-up ones in other countries that actually work.

Baino; If enough people stopped vaccinating then dangerous diseases would of course probably return in the form of pandemics, my gripe is that you can’t chose which diseases to vaccinate against!

Bock the Robber; I had that same conversation with one poor sap who was sick of sleeping in the corridor of the A&E ward. Such a weird state of affairs we’re in.

9. jaysis christ i am now scared to get my shot that i need to get if i am going to work in the animal shelters. I have am doing a side liner of working with dogs and cat homes now. But after reading this i often wonder does the hse know what is really in the vaccations that they give use people. Poor little tom i do hope he gets better soon. theres nothing worse when the little ones get sick. I actaully have a not so funny story. When i was puppy child age. i developed an illness and the good doctor said it was colic so i was landed with the diet from hell. I could not eat anything that looked like normal food. After a year of being a colic child i was than told i had asthma. Again there was the diet of no milk have to avoid certain things at all cost and give my my pet dog which really did suck. But when i was 12 i got the MMR shot and i developed coupe. A horrible nasty chest infection in which doing the simplest of tasks was a night mare for the old chest. I still do have asthma but now that i am older and wisher i now have my own ideas. I have discovered now that if i alter my diet and get a forthnightly massage all my lympnoths get drained and this means that all the nasty gems that were once in me are now gone. I also dont eat eat but hey that my choice. I think at the end of the day they should be a pay plan put in place for parents of children who get sick from getting the childhood shots. I have seen way to many cases of both children and adults alike getting sick from these shots.

10. oh just one more thing. i cant undertand for the life of me why little girls need to get the cervical cancer shot. According to my notes from anatomy and physiology the female reprotective organs dont develop til your well in your teens and its stops developing in your 20’s. So whats the point in messing with such a fine delicate area. I remember when i was 12 that shot did not exist. i think its the hse playing god with our bodies again.

You’re so right about the holistic therapy, it really does rule. I’ve no idea why mainstream medicine won’t incorporate it, not even a teensy little bit.

12. unstranger says:

Well done K8, the HFE reads so much more correctly than their innocuously monikered HSE; truly a ‘Fuckup’ Executive in earnest.

Making fun of the HSE is like making people depressed at a Radiohead concert… it’s just too easy.