Aug 2

Tomb stone nirvana

Posted on Monday, August 2, 2010 in Family, Philosophy

Puppychild still hasn’t been Christened, I’m hoping for a two-for-one deal, her and her baby brother in their whites with damp foreheads and sandwiches and bottles of Cidona.  I just have to pull my finger out, when the next blue moon occurs.

In the meantime, it only makes sense to introduce her into the Christian world in all its complexity, so for the last month I’ve been bringing her to Mass.  She plays quietly with other children where the tea-lights burn and asks me what a Holy Spirit is, and where does the basket money go?  I failed miserably at the ‘Who is God?’ line of questioning, so I’m hoping the congregation inspires her somehow, but it hasn’t.  When I asked her yesterday if she’d like to go to Mass again, she replied “No, thank you, if that’s okay.”

Victoria's Way

That’s why I left her to sleep this morning, bundled up warmly in her blankie in her girlie nirvana on the couch, and I skipped Mass to go instead to the cemetary behind.  Sir Fartsalot nuzzling in my kangaroo pouch, we climbed uphill to his great-grandparent’s plot for they had not yet been formally introduced.

We sat on their grave and gazed into the valley below and I bit his nails and dropped the tiny crescenty pieces onto the soil beneath so that their DNA may mingle forever, and we whiled away and watched the clouds until the congregation’s relief finally shattered our peace.  It was a morning well spent.

I think we may do that, my children and I, from now on.  We might skip mass and picnic above with our ancestors every Sunday instead and I’ll teach them about God through nature, it’s far easier to explain that way.

The suits might wonder who the strange heathens are who float about in graveyards instead of sitting with them in their pews, and in time to come maybe my children will choose to join them, if not just to scout for boys or shelter from the rain.

It’s their choice, but I’ve chosen already.  I’m with the crosses, the Hawthorn trees and deer-droppings in the silence beyond in God’s own church, not Man’s.  Chocolate and daisy-chains and snowballs in February, memories by association attributed to God.  I might even bring a bible, for the skaa!

Father S will not be best pleased when, one by
    one the congregation start to join you!

Then up there in your lofty heights you may
    deliver your sermon, hand around the hat and thus K8 the GR8 shall be the first female Catholic priest(after Sinead O’Connor)?

2. Martin says:

Love the image of you biting his nails onto the grave.

I did that for our wee thing, but the clippings only ended up on the carpet.

No christening here either, no feckin way.

Iloved this. I did christen and educate mine in the Catholic system (promise to their father) but have managed to breed two perfect little agnostics who question everything. Organised religion has it’s place for some but holds no resonance for me at all. Give me an afternoon of sunshine and a natural view and there is God. Right in front of me.

4. unstranger says:

Well done K8. Mass and all that goes with it demands that followers focus solely on one thing, the queue to get into a fecking grave; while the clergy remain aloof and awash with the wealth conned from the guilt of followers through behests. Idiotic.
    Your decision is a sound one.
    Well done.

5. Ian says:

If getting to Heaven depends on the church, then God is very strange.

But I would say that, being a Protestant heretic outside the one true church.

I am with you 100% exactly. A beautiful post :)

I did intend same 2 for 1 deal with my two, but now the baby’s three, and I haven’t got round to it yet…

7. That sounds infinietly preferable to me – and so much more suited to children. They’re much more likely to listen to and understand what you’d like them to if they can see its relation to the real world. Plus it sounds like a perfect way to spend a Sunday morning. :)

Granny; High Priestess more like!

Martin; I’d normally put nail clippings in soup, they’re full of calcium!

Baino; I can’t imagine life without mass though… it’s a constant you can rely on, and very handy for gaining sanctuary if you’re on the run from vampires.

Holemaster;
    “MAICA AND ENDA – JUNE ’10;
    WE WOULD VERY MUCH LIKE TO THANK ALL OUR FAMILY AND FRIENDS FOR THEIR KIND MESSAGES & BEST WISHES AHEAD OF OUR BIG DAY. WE CAN’T WAIT TO SEE YOU ALL IN SKERRIES!. (AND THEN GET TO CUBA AFTERWARDS!!..)
    MUCHAS GRACIAS.. X”

God’s in Cuba?!??!?!!!!

Unstranger; Yeah it’s got a pretty bad reputation, but still I try to gravitate. I feel the kids need to make their own choice, as early in the am that might be. :(

Ian; Maybe we’re already in heaven.

Thank you Jo! Communion is looming though, it would be fierce embarrassing if she wasn’t baptised first. Maybe looming is the wrong word! I’m going to hell.

J; It’s a good exercise in patience though, having to stay so quiet for so long. Being bored outside is healthier and far less stern.

9. Absolutely – though I know what you mean. To generalise massively, children today find it very hard to be bored. It’s an important lesson to learn, and I think it’s good for anyone to learn to be comfortable just with their own thoughts.

Very well said.