Jul 26

Please don’t chew your gum near my baby

Posted on Monday, July 26, 2010 in Little known facts, munchies, Rantings, Something to think about

It’s your lunch break. You scarf down an onion bagel, a packet of crisps and a can of diet fizz, all washed down with a cigarette maybe. On your way back to the office, you pop one or two chewing-gums to dull the pungency of it all and congratulate yourself that you’re doing your teeth a favour even if your smokey lungs are shot.  Two out of three ain’t bad, sure.

-o0o-

It’s not your lungs you need to worry about though, it’s the other thing… the thing that was in most of what you just ate. Crisps, diet (‘zero’) drinks, chewing gum, diet yoghurts, artificial sweeteners, breakfast cereals, aspartame, aspartame, aspartame. It’s in sugar-free children’s medications, in a bid to prevent tooth-rot. It’s in 1200 of the products you consume, and it’s very slowly mucking up our genetics and making us say things like… ‘isn’t it funny how people are dropping like flies with cancer these days?’.

Diet Kak

Unstranger’s recent post reminded me of E951, the toxin that in 1980, was voted against by the FDA Public Board Of Inquiry on the grounds that the data was flawed, there were brain tumor findings in animal studies, and there was a lack of studies on humans to determine long-term effects.

Aspartame was since approved spuriously via pressure from Donald Rumsfeld, apparently. Urm… ok.

“The official story is that aspartame was discovered in 1966 by a scientist developing an ulcer drug (not a “food additive”). Supposedly he discovered, upon carelessly licking his fingers that they tasted sweet. Thus was the chemicals industry blessed with a successor to saccharine, the coal-tar derivative that foundered eight years later under the pressure of cancer concerns.”  (according to this)

Aspartame basically metabolizes into Formaldehyde from amino acids and methanol, which eats you (so to speak) slowly, causing severe health problems at exceptionally low levels of exposure. It disguises itself as illnesses such as Lyme Disease, Alzheimer’s Disease, Hypothyroidism, Fibromyalgia, Lupus, and Attention Deficit Disorder, to name just a few.

Some of the symptoms of aspartame poisoning include:

Headaches, Dizziness, Muscle spasms, Rashes, Depression, Fatigue, Seizures, Tachycardia, Insomnia, Hearing Loss, Anxiety attacks, Loss of taste, Joint Pain, Vertigo, Tinnitus, Irritability and Breathing difficulties.

Because it metabolizes into a poison, it is believed that it can also trigger or worsen things like brain tumours, Alzheimer’s Disease, Diabetes, birth defects, epilepsy, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Parkinson’s Disease.

Side effects can occur gradually, can be immediate, or can be acute reactions, but!  It’s a billion dollar market, so SHHH!!! don’t tell anybody!!

Photobucket

Here I sit with a tobacco pouch with the words ‘Smoking can damage the sperm and decreases fertility’ emblazoned in BIG lettering on its side. I have no sperm. I have plenty of children.

I’m worried about the warning that’s absent from my bottle of 7UP Free that should state ‘This product contains a chemical which eats holes in your brain. Do not consume if pregnant.’

But there will never be, because there’s no money in that lark.

Because we could all be run over by a bus tomorrow, I guess.

1. unstranger says:

Hi K8, unsettling to say the least of it; especially for mothers of babies. Aspartame came to my notice after I acquired a nasty dose of psoriasis. I eventually realised that I had only some months prior begun drinking Lucozade’s ‘sport’ fizzy-free orange drink. Canteen at work introduced it. Still can’t haven’t rid myself of the psoriasis.

2. Holemaster says:

“Headaches, Dizziness, Muscle spasms, Rashes, Depression, Fatigue, Seizures, Dizzines, Tachycardia, Insomnia, Hearing Loss, Anxiety attacks, Loss of taste, Joint Pain, Vertigo, Tinnitus, Irritability and Breathing difficulties.”

Tick, tick, tick, tick and so on.

Ohhh, thanks for this. I just learned about the formaldehyde recently. Scary ass stuff.

4. This Limbo says:

I think I shall now blame Diet Coke for my kidney failure. Thus far I had been blaming my parents, but they’re already heavily burdened with blame for my trust issues, the fact they didn’t enrol me into a performing arts school and make me a star, etc.

5. i have to say this is a great blog. I for one dont drink diet coke i always get into a coughing fit everytime i drink it. But i can say this i do have a high diet and i try my best to eat the right foods. But after reading this i will be avoiding diet coke and chewing gum. i cant however give up my weekly treat of eating a buttery roast chciken dinner and my year session of eating half a cow. though i do try and my best and my heart is somewhat in the right p;ace at times. theres something for you to think about now my friend who is doing the itec anatomy and physiology course has now to get 4 fillings over her diet coke habit. i think that i will be avoiding diet realted products from here on in

6. Kitty Cat says:

Aspartame scares me. I hate diet drinks because of it and also because they taste weird anyway. It’s all so very shady.

Your Granny O’C used hermesita or somfin like
    that,in fact there is still a little tin of it
    in the drawer! I never went down that route,a glass of guinness is your only man…..

8. If you all don’t mind me chiming in here, my grandfather worked for Coke for 25 years. When I was still knee high to a grasshopper, I remember him coming home to my grandparents place one day yelling that they went ahead with distribution of the then, new to the world, Diet Coke. They knew it could be harmful but went ahead with it anyway. He told everyone to avoid it like the plague even though he worked for the company.

Processed foods are bad, period! My mother, thus our family, has been on a diet of some sort since I was little. It was tough trading rice cakes for candy bars at school though! :)

Thanks for the info, K8. I’ll stay away from the gum. :)

9. Holemaster says:

Hang on. Diet Coke with Bacon?

10. Nick says:

Well, I’ve reached the grand old age of 63 without contracting any nasty disease and having consumed thousands of dodgy substances for many decades. So I’m not too worried by the latest health scare, unless someone knows for certain I’ll drop dead if I eat a small portion of substance X.

Unstranger; Skin is a funny organ though, homoeopathy’s yer only man for that.

Holemaster; It describes life in general perfectly, doesn’t it?

Jo; I was a previous sugar-free squash whore, my family must be riddled by now.

This Limbo; :( I’d be an astrophysicist by now if my parents had’ve forked out for that pony.

Vicky; Dentists recommend Diet Coke, or at least mine did! That’s mad. It’s not the sugar but the poison in the stuff that kills your teeth? I refused, I can’t go without my five-sugared tea in the afternoon and diet coke is mank anyway.

Kitty-cat; It does taste rotten, but they’ve a clever way of disguising it in unsuspected ways as I just found out during a cupboard scan! My bin’s overflowing with sugar free stuff.

Granny; Just don’t go putting any Canderel in that Guinness, mind.

Jefferson; Chime away, dude! The things we’ve been eating for the longest are the best… honey, grains, fruit… Earl Grey! I’m dubious of rice-cakes, but I bet they make great boiler insulation?

Holemaster; Sizzly Fizz. Yum.

Nick; Therein lies the bus theory. Memo to self – don’t eat buses.

Shit. I chew gum all the time. All the time. Just found out that my favourite Wrigleys 5 contains Sorbitol, Glycerol, Aspartame, and Acesulfam and I’ve developed a mild case of tinnnitus over the past 3 months . . then that could be years of listening to live music without earplugs.

I can’t do without my schwing gum. It’s a great invention if I can remember not to smack it! Tinnitus does seem to be a sign of a life well lived, enjoy that harmonic while it lasts. It must’ve been a good note for you. :)