Apr 21

Robbin’ Robin

Posted on Wednesday, April 21, 2010 in Family, munchies, Strange and Unusual

A trip to the National Garden Exhibition Centre today with the mammy inevitably led to an urgent case of the munchies and a craving for cappuchino.  We sat outside by the waterfall and basked in the warmth of that rare ball of gas in the sky and picked at our sangidges contentedly until suddenly mum exclaimed loudly and made me jump the height of myself;

Look!  Brave robin – hello robin!”

Sure enough, a little red-breasted dude was perched on a nearby chair with his head cocked, watching us sharply.  I picked some crust from my sandwich and placed it at the far edge of the table.

Turns out that robins in Wicklow have more gourmet tastes though.  Crusts bedamned… he hopped over to the edge of our plates and began to persistently rob bits of egg salad and chopped tomato until his teensy belly was full enough to merit us worthy of a quick song which he sang loudly from table centre.  He might have expected a tip, but I’m not sure what the tipping etiquette is for garden birds.

Photobucket

Pass the salt, luvvie?

That is one awesome photo and you are so, so, lucky. Such a gorgeous little bird in his Spring best. Is that a whistle on your key ring? I have one that I gave to Clare when she travelled.

Cute! I’ve never been. Must go, must go.

Baino; That’s a wee MagLite torch… handy for camping and finding the keyhole in the dark when you’re twisted :) Ah the good aul’ days. The other thing is for picking boyscouts out of horses’ hooves.

Jo; It’s a seriously lovely spot to bum around of an afternoon – they’ve a wee fairy garden and strange wooden men hanging around and gift shops and the like… easy to lose small people though!

You forgot to mention the best part – when I smashed him with my library book. Oh, how we laughed.

5. That would freak the beejeezus outta me!

6. That would freak me out too, cos of my fear of birds! But that’s amazingly cute. AWWW. Bless.

Granny; Yes he was bloody irritatingly cheerful wasn’t he? He was asking for it.

Jelly Monster; He didn’t look like that type that would have a concealed weapon, but it did cross my mind. He was quite sweet if you could get past that crazy homicidal glint in his eye.

TheRavingDave; We used to have budgies that we’d let out of the cage to fly around. They used to perch on the lightshade and poo on our cards during poker games. You probably wouldn’t have liked our poker games very much.

8. SQUEEEEEEE! Oh dear god, that is too cute! The only birds we get around here are sparrows, crows, the occasional raven, and the seagulls that fly 60 miles inland when the storms hit. Some starlings and mockingbirds, too, okay, and hummingbirds. But I have never met a robin in person.

So does that mean MagLites are available over there? And here I was worried I should buy a new one before I moved! When I was growing up, my friend’s dad worked at the original factory that made them, here in SoCal, not too far from our house. The big MagLites are brilliant for braining someone.

9. aww that is just so cute i love robins hes one brave cutie. I met up with my borther last year and the same thing happned well a few nasty pigions decided to take some cake away from us lucky for us shep let a huge bark and managed to knock down scaldling hot coffee all over my brother and me. Well lucky for me graham did see the fuuny side of it. shep of course got to have the cake all to himself. little birds beware never try and take cake or anyother food for that matter off my beloved BC shep

Fat Sparrow; Yep! We have MagLites, credit-card swiss army kits, Folgers, you name it! Except Twinkies and Altoids. You’ll want to stock up on them.

Vicky; Coffee ouch! Sounds like a scene from Marley and Me…

11. You are so funny for a white girl. I still need an El Pollo Loco, hole-in-the-wall taquerias, and StayFree Maxi Pads.

Do you think you can get Norn Iron to import some Mexicans? No, not for the Maxi Pads.