Mar 17

The Birds

Posted on Wednesday, March 17, 2010 in Strange and Unusual

When I first saw the Hitchcock version I was nonplussed.  What’s the big problem with rake loads of crows hanging around?  Around here, they do it all the time.  Okay so they don’t do it all the time, just at certain hours at random times of year…  I’d do a proper study on it if I could be arsed – maybe some day.  It would remind you of a Westlife concert – thousands of people all flocked together – it makes you wonder… what’s the attraction?

One thing I have noticed though, is that they like bin day.  I’m impressed that they’ve figured out what day that is, most of my neighbours haven’t even managed that yet.  Rubbish mysteriously appears everywhere robbed from slightly overflowing bins, and neighbourhood kids get dirty looks from their elders even though they had nothing to do with it.

Rancid pineapples and small milk cartons are carefully placed on the road by un-seen forces, and when squished by cars, are devoured within minutes.  How clever is that?

I made a quick, very boring video of it with my phone recently as the murder flocked in the field next door.  From there, they move on to the trees overlooking our houses, and stay there for a while, just watching and learning.  What’s really creepy is that if you were to go outside and throw bread for them, they don’t come over to eat it, they just remain.  Staring.  Plotting.  Then they just… bugger off.

Thus ends my highly scientific wildlife observation.  Look out David Attenborough.

I love Crows! When I lived out in the country whenever some small animal was hit by a car the next day the crows would show up and within a day…..all gone!

Wrong music. You should have used the theme from Jaws!

3. Robert says:

That is a lot of crows. I’ve see flocks of them flying around one particular area but never that many on the ground.

Actually other than a visit to a battery farm when I was younger I don’t think I’ve seen as many birds on the ground.

Well, other than my local teenage disco when I was younger of course. Although even then they would fly away. *sigh*

4. Wow, that is a lot of birds.

Sea gulls are vicious buggers, don’t have food out with gulls around, many’s the time they have swiped food from my very hand when I was a little girl and we were at the beach.

God I’d freak if I saw that many in a field at the same time .. now if they were Galahs? Probably not.

6. I like crows. I find their bad tempers and sinister looks amusing. This probably makes me a likely target for whatever it is they’re plotting…

BrianF; It’s true, there’s hardly any roadkill on the roads around here considering Grandad’s driving around on them whacked out on strange herbs.

Grandad; YouTube’s Audioswap is wrecking my head – it has a mind of its own!

Robert; I think they call groups of teenage girls ‘murders’ too. If they don’t, they should.

Fat Sparrow; Seagulls freak me out too – they’re always a lot bigger than you’d expect them to be. And they like to eat the diced carrots out of puddles of early morning street-pizza. Eugh.

Baino; Cockatoos are fierce opinionated though! At least crows hatch their evil plans quietly.

Jenny; Me too! They appeal to the goth in us, maybe.

8. Holemaster says:

Crows kick ass.

Next time, instead of leaving out bread you should go out and make the bread from scratch as they look on. They’ll need to oven at some stage. That’s where the negotiation starts.

I’d need one helluva big oven, mind.