Feb 17

Soul stealers

Posted on Wednesday, February 17, 2010 in Family, Rantings

You know the way ‘they’ say that some African tribes intensely dislike having their photographs taken for fear a bit of their souls are taken with them?  I know exactly how they feel.

It’s a clever ploy that’s happened several times since Puppychild started school… professional photographers sneak into the building in the dead of lunchtime and snap a few quickies without warning, then they send a blackmail letter home with the kid later that day.

You have one week to pay the sum of €17.50 for a print of our photograph.  If you want to see it alive, please view the school’s notice board.

I got a letter like this last week, and took the bait.  Sure enough, there was a group photograph of Puppychild and her classmates, sitting angelically in a row outside the main door of the building.

It got to me that nobody had asked my permission to take that picture, or at least warned me about it so that I could have given her hair a pre-emptive brush.  It suddenly struck me that if I didn’t pay for this photograph, somebody else would get at it and could potentially do strange and unimaginable things with it.  I felt compelled to give these bastards my coal money, just to save my daughter’s soul.

It also occurs to me that there is now a negative somewhere in someone’s studio with my kid on it, and no amount of cash can get it back.  I’m highly bloody un-nerved by this.

I will be giving these people an envelope containing €17.50 in exchange for my daughter’s soul.  If they had asked for €190 for a print-off the size of a postage-stamp, I’d probably still consider paying for that, too.  I feel invaded.

Clever soul stealers.

1. Martin says:

Oddly that’s always bothered me even since when it was my pic being taken.

That and the school nurse randomly having a rummage at your nads.

Aside from that, 17.50 for a photo… bastards.

2. They’re crazily expensive, aren’t they? And I’m sure they’re supposed to tell you when they have photographers in…

Martin; They’re passing it off as a photograph with an autograph sleeve for their schoolmates, that’s why it’s expensive. Ironic that the kids can’t read or write yet, but hey… it’s the idea that counts I guess.

Jenny; Drive-by photography… what’s the world coming to?!?!?

4. School photographs, every year they want $50 for a crappy pic of your kid that one day they’ll be embarrassed by.

Just say “no.”

I remember those school pics from when I was a tyke. Yes I was once a youngster. I was not developed and programmed by an evil blogger from Sligo.
    The picture days were announced well in advance and my parents were also blackmailed into buying them. today I look at the few that remain and I have no idea who the other kids are in the pic. Ha!

6. With the cameras and technology today I do my own photography with no fake books …but just the way I like them …and more so WHERE I want them …I took my niece on her picture day for a shot holding her favorite subject book while she jumped in the air with the waves crashing..brilliant photo..oh , and it was free.

7. Hails says:

K8, I wrote such a long comment in response to this that I ended up feeling guilty about taking over on your blog, so I made my comment into a post on my blog instead. :) Thanks for the inspiration – and also, you and your readers are welcome to respond to my post either here or on my blog. I’m interested to know what others think about this! http://coffee-helps.com/2010/02/18/may-i-take-your-picture-please-sign-this-consent-form/

8. unstranger says:

I’d have shot the ‘photographer’ and the school Principal for letting it happen. Scum.

Fat Sparrow; It’s a lovely picture though!! I really want it, but I don’t want to give the feckers the satisfaction! Arrrgh DAMN this stubborn gene of mine.

Brian; It’s entirely worth it, if not for the laugh you get out of the naff haircuts!

Kingo’NYhacks; See but that’s an excellent photo because you love the subject matter, not because you want to extort money out of someone! Sea photos ROCK.

Hails; Excellent post, too – you pointed out to me a paranoid side that I hadn’t really noticed… I posted a comment but it disappeared! I have indeed joined the ranks of the over-anxious parents, consumed by what other people’s dark thoughts that probably don’t even exist, but that’s only a tiny part of it. The whole idea just smells dubious and I don’t like it!! It feels too much like blackmail somehow.

Unstranger; I haven’t spoken to the principal about it yet, but it’s the sort of school that would definitely have the child’s best interests at heart. I would ring the photography company, but they didn’t publish a phone number or email address on their letter – spurious.

10. Hails says:

I checked, and your comment got trapped in spam for some reason! I have restored it. Anyway, as I said in my reply there, I’d likely be the same if I was a parent… but it’s interesting to see how different attitudes are in this part of the world!

Thanks Hails :) I think these hormones may have something to do with it too- I’ve no idea what to expect from one day to the next!

It’s highly likely that the wee wan was given a
    note. Did you check her pockets? You were very remiss at bringing home notes yourself Missus!

13. holemaster says:

Yeah, a bit invasive alright K8. I’ll have to wait to be a Dad to fully understand. So I’ll pop back then and leave a comment. Are you still going to be blogging in about, oh, ten years?

Granny; Jaybus but that’s a good point. I must check the shredded soggy remains at the bottom of her schoolbag – no man’s land.

Holemaster; That really depends on whether my job as Queen of Everything allows time for blogging or not, but I expect so, yes!