Aug 15

Good Innings

Posted on Saturday, August 15, 2009 in Family

His body was discovered in the bedroom late in the evening.  Still warm, but limp; the setting sun glinted into once vibrant eyes that were now painfully vacant.  It was agreed that there was no point in calling for help, the diagnosis was unavoidably death.  I heard a gasp, and a muffled *pop* as a hand was clasped firmly to a mouth with shock.  It might have been me.

It was decided that there was no point in putting off the inevitable, this body before us was just a husk, a vacuum swirled where his cheerful voice one rang… it was too painful to leave him there.  We spoke of how much we would miss him as we made preparations, and hoped his passing was peaceful.

By the graveside, tears slowly fell and a prayer was spoken with a cracked voice, its owner soothed with a hug and a meek pat on the arm.  When the last clod of soil covered a letter of love that lay on top of the frugal coffin and was patted down neatly, we began to walk away.

One member of the small congregation remained behind at the grave and spoke her final words;

“We should get a yellow one now!”

grave

Haha! Grandad Ultra… now with wings.

2. Kirk M says:

My heartfelt condolences on the parting of a beloved family member. And I highly recommend a yellow one.

You should have an Irish wake for the parted one (even though the graveside service has taken place). I hear they can be quite the thing. Or is an Irish wake an American tradition?

Grandad me arse! Watch it Xbox!

Did you hold an autopsy? Was it suicide or just fowl play?

4. Yes, yes.
    Definitely a yellow one.
    *sniff*

Awww what a sweet little note. Very philosophical that Puppychild. Yellow is my favourite colour . . .

Jo; That’s what the Guinea Pigs said when they saw the budgie keel over!

KirkM; Brilliant idea! Hire keeners to wail by the oil-tank while the rest of us get scuttered and play the fiddle ’till dawn? Proper order, that.

Grandad; I’ve a load of spare birdseed going if you want some… you know what happens when you plant birdseed.

Susan; Or two even? I feel slightly less bad about caging things if they’re in pairs.

Baino; Yes she was very zen-like as she skipped back into the house singing at the top of her voice. That’s how funerals should be.

7. Kirk M says:

Grandad – Grooaann, I can’t believe you said that (before me that is).

8. Holemaster says:

What were it’s last tweets?

Holemaster; Haha! I believe it was – @K8 I’m starving here, pull yer finger out!

Unstranger; At least you know who not to hire to manage your pet shop.