Jun 10

Long time no see

Posted on Wednesday, June 10, 2009 in Philosophy

Irish weather is a gift.  It has rare qualities that are hard to see, but for all the complaining we do about it, I really don’t think we fully appreciate its element of surprise.

Take yesterday for example.  I had a million and one things to do, each task seemed longer and longer and was slowed by my increasing tiredness and lethargy.  It felt like a bad day that would never end.  I drove for miles with cloud overhead, shopped in cold supermarkets, carried heavy boxes and appeased complaints from cranky children who didn’t seem to want to make room for my foul mood.  Even dog-walking, a usually exciting task for both parties, didn’t provide its usual buzz, this time even the passing foliage looked bored.

Then, driving back from the forest, it happened.  As overhead branches became fewer and the sky crept into view, the blueness leapt out and suddenly the sun in her rarity beamed in full volume.  Its power permeated everything inside the car… the Goo Goo Doll’s ‘Iris’ was playing through the stereo at the time and suddenly the notes became truer, the song became as beautiful as the first time I’d heard it.  The heat hit my face and made me gasp and rose the tiny hairs on my arms and made my heart beat faster and suddenly it was no longer a bad day.  The moment etched itself on my memory, leaving the rest behind, drudgery dissolved.

See, people in Spain or Florida or Thailand… places we so keenly wish to visit… they can’t appreciate that because the sun is constant and there are no surprises.  We covet UV light so desperately, yet on holiday most of us complain that it’s too hot.  Irish weather is perfect, it has the ability to shock the most miserable person into pure awe… they suddenly see that if it weren’t for all the Goddamn rain, the pure lush crisp green that now surrounds them would not be made possible.

I know you’ve felt it.

sunlight

I can hear the birdsong and feel the freshness as the sun peeps through the trees in that picture.

2. Lovely post – we are impossible to please us Irish eh? Who wants day in day out sunshine anyway – how predictable and boring! ;-)

3. I know exactly what you mean – it is just the same here in soggy old British Columbia. You truely appreciate the sun when it does shine. Like today – hooray.

4. holemaster says:

You’re bang on K8. There is a great vitality to our weather.

5. Last year, we had a terrible drought where I live. We had solid sun for months! This year, it has been pissing down for months. As much as I love the sun, I’m glad to have the rain. I’ve not had to water me garden all season. :)

6. I felt it.

Might have been the dodgy yam-yams I had though.

7. jen says:

Ah sure isn’t it the weather that makes the irish what we are, a curious balance of optimism and pessism. When it’s sunny, there’s always the possibility of rain in the near future and when it’s raining sure the sun might be just about to break through…

8. I love the sudden rain just as much. Not the irritating drizzly stuff we get most of the time, but the really serious, no-chance-of-escape rain we get in the summer sometimes. I know it probably signifies that bad things are happening to the climate but I love it – it’s totally refreshing and yes, wonderfully surprising.

I’ve often said that even when everything around me is falling apart and it happens often, the sun manages to shine. Being down in the dumps is always better with the warmth at your back. Having said that, this week it is freezing! We’re having an uncharacteristic cold snap and we’re ill equipped for the cold – but no rain . . .we’ve been in drought for 11 years, water restrictions for five, dry land and desperate farmers . . .I get that kind of feeling at the end of a summer’s day when the rain hits the dry ground and that wonderful wet grass smell oozes upwards.

Grannymar; Makes you want to go outside, doesn’t it?

Irish Mammy; And expensive! Think how much we’re saving in sun-tan lotions?

Don’t bug me; It’s teeshirt weather, no matter what the temperature!

Holemaster; Vitality. Yep. I’ll use that word next time I meet a belligerent aul’ one in the post office.

Jimmy; Shame you can’t sell the stuff on Ebay, innit?

Xbox4nappyrash; I’d steer clear of anything that’s named twice if I was you.

Jen; What I love is the whingeing about water shortages during heat-waves in Ireland! How ironic is that?!

Jenny; Two-second drenchers are amazing… they always bring that sudden tar-mac smell that’s strangely beautiful.

Baino; Rain is taken for granted here, but I completely hear you on that smell. What’s amazing is that it’s caused by the plants sensing that rain’s about to fall, they open their sepals and prepare their leaves and roots for the downfall… apparently that’s why everything smells so wonderful when it rains. Clever nature.

11. unstranger says:

Very well written. Excellent as usual. And also have met that situation, many times.