Jun 5

Godless freaks

Posted on Friday, June 5, 2009 in Rantings, Something to think about

This blog is starting to feel like an answering machine.  I

I…

just don’t know what to say anymore.

I’ve lapsed (Blogfather forgive me) in my reading of other blogs, because life has taken over a bit since moving to this house.  There’s so much to do!  Granted the marriage bit and the honeymoon stuff (which I’ll spare you of any blow-by-blow accounts as much as I want describe it, it won’t come to words) which took up a lot of my time of late… now is the time that I should be getting back to the flow of blogging.

But…

The quality of this girl’s writing has deteriorated because now seems to be the time of experience and learning and it feels like there’s no room for anything else.  I wonder should I give up this poor blog and let her sleep?  The pool of inspiration’s been dry for so damn long now, I wonder if the gloss has worn off.  What the fuck is wrong with me?  Is now the time to practice guitar finger-styling or to appreciate the sunny disposition of my neighbour before she moves away?

It’s just another day.  Everybody else lives the same day, but in their own way.  What’s so different about me?  Nothing, that’s what.

So many blogs complain.  So many plead for redemption for themselves or for the government, but we have nothing to honour.  We Irish are all alone, we have ourselves to love, that’s it, but that’s not enough.  We think we’re bigger and older than everyone else, but it really doesn’t matter.   Since I came home from Thailand I’ve noticed a few things… namely that Ireland is an incredibly clean country, but also that we have nothing to live for but money, and now that’s shot.

Thai people have statues everywhere dedicated to Buddha.  They serve their statues breakfast, lunch and dinner.  They serve shots and Tequila Sunrises and glasses of water to these icons and place statues of their beloved King (the longest serving King in the world!) on the dashboard of their taxis and places of payment.  Relics are found on every corner of every Godforsaken shithole and they are worshipped beyond belief.

I want that.

But who should we worship?

I suppose there’s always God (who no-one laughs at when…);

Then there’s always Mr. Tayto;

tayto

St Patrick?  Don’t make me laugh…

patrick

Who’s left for us to idolise?

Who?

Any takers?

1. Well, those tequila sunrises you mentioned sound good for some worshippin’…

Shoot me down by all means but . .God is not your answer. Much as the Thais love their King and respect their deities, they’re not afraid to jump up and protest at any wrong doing. They’ve had more peaceful coups than I’ve had hot lunches!

From my observation the Irish have sunk to a level of defeat and resignation. You (collectively, not personally) don’t protest the things your Government is doing, you don’t actively jump up and shout ‘we’re not gonna take it any more’ you just complain a lot. Go over to Grow-up and check the icon in his sidebar, there’s a slow movement happening! Don’t you dare give up blogging, you have much to say.

3. Hola K8!!

You are so full of despair you might almost be a Protestant!

You are forget thatcwhat you are esperience is the very essence of life. Is doubt, is despair, is a very understandable temptation to resort to alcohol.

You must kneel down every night and pray (if need be witha glass of Cardenal endoza by your side) and thank Our Lady that you are not a Buddhist and condemn to eternal damnation like they are.

Keep the faith!

besos

Manuel

4. Maxi Cane says:

Fine, you can worship me.

5. Kirk M says:

Sorry, but you can’t quit. Not allowed as there are so few of us that can actually turn a deft phrase, who have a sense of humor, can tell a good story and punctuate correctly.

As far as who you Irish folk can idolize, how about yourselves for once? Not your damn government but you as a people. Start there and don’t stop until you get your country straightened out and then keep on going. Worshiping gods and idols is what got us all in trouble in the first place, yes?

Susan; Yes. Yes they do.

Baino; Yeah I loved Thai ethics, that whole ‘save face’ policy. They won’t argue in public, and have no problem asking for tips straight out… they say what they mean and leave all that passive aggression out of it. Those are good ethics to live by!

Manuel; But it’s too late – I’ve already sold my soul in order to be a Gecko in my next life.

Maxi; Thank you O great and glorious one. I shall carve a 16ft statue in your likeness for Dublin Airport.

Kirk; Ok maybe not worship, maybe that’s too extreme… but we could do with more meaningful teachings about material value and our attitudes to each other, perhaps from a book or deity that isn’t so vague! We all just seem so lost and floaty, whereas Asian people feel more grounded, y’know?

Post wedding blues! It will pass.

Last Jan/Feb I hit the proverbial wall for Bloggers and was ready to close up shop never to blog again. The final post was even written, but I slept on it for one night, then another. Now I am glad I binned it and the fun has come back. It will for you too, give it time.

8. I worship the written word. Not any particular written word, just well written and illuminating formulations.

I would have to agree that we are floating about aimlessly. We’ve become so comfy with our sofas and hi-def tellies that we have forgotten what is most important, each other. It’s all about ‘Me’ theses days. We need to get back to only saying, “WE”. We can accomplish so much in a lifespan, if we only knock our pride down a bit and work together.

We have a wee problem in the states that has really set the younger generations adrift. WE don’t pass down customs, parables, and family stories of auld anymore. History will always be repeated, but if we can learn from the mistakes of our forefathers, we may not screw up quite so atrociously. History builds character, I say. :)

God is still listening. We don’t always get the answer we want or any answer at all, but that is all part of the homo sapien experience, idn’t it? :)

By the way, DON’T STOP BLOGGIN’! Don’t make me have to come o’er ‘here and drink ye und’r the table. :)

9. Don’t leave us! I would really miss your posts. And so would you I suspect – writing them, that is.

I was feeling like this, at least blog-wise, a few weeks ago. I can’t say it’s totally gone, but I couldn’t let the blogging go. I guess I want to find out where it takes me.

You could always idolise Regina Spektor. I think I do!

10. Jennifer says:

If you give up blogging there’s no hope for the rest of us.
    I loved reading your posts about Thailand and they brought back a lot of memories of when I was there in 2004.
    I might post about it sometime, or put up a link to a radio piece so that I don’t have to type forever. Lets just say the waves were quite big!

11. Hiya

If this helps i am having bloggers block at the moment. I think its got something to dow with the weather. BUt i would not stop writing. I love your blog. I think also i would tale some time out and relax. I think this block always hits writers at one time or another

12. Kirk M says:

K8 – My previous comment was supposed to be a bit more insightful but then the Requip kicked in halfway through writing it. When I finally woke up it past midnight so I had to submit as is.

You’re a fine writer, K8. Perhaps you could start a movement?

Ah no, don’t go!

Grannymar; Thanks for the wise words, but I wonder how patient readers are sometimes. Quantity or quality?!?!

Jeffo; *Hic* Too late. Completely with you on the history thing. Folklore is dying, it’s such a shame.

Jenny; Isn’t she beautiful? She’s like a lava lamp. It’s hard to let blogging go, but these lulls are hard to fight, aren’t they?

Jennifer; :-) There’s so much to say about Thailand, it’s a different world altogether. Two weeks wasn’t enough!!!

Vicky; Yeah it’s hard to write when there’s planting and sunbathing to be done! Good luck with your block, too.

Kirk; I’ve had 5 hour comments too that made no sense, but yours did! How did you do that?!?! I tried starting a movement, but people in Ireland are awful hard to move.

Granny; That’s what we all said to you!!!

15. Kirk M says:

I tried starting a movement, but people in Ireland are awful hard to move.

Have you tried a bulldozer?

Might threaten to bulldoze the Tayto factory. Good idea.

17. unstranger says:

Forget finger styles, just play the damn thing. Guitar sounds the way you want it to and fuck the perfectionists, they’re just anal retentive anyway.