Jan 26

Xbox4TaxiFare

Posted on Monday, January 26, 2009 in Taxi driving

TAT and I share an hour’s overlap in the mornings, just as I wake up and he returns from work.  This gives us enough time to catch up on each others news and provide a redux of the things that need knowing.   It would be much nicer quality time if mommy wasn’t such a grumpy bitch at that hour, but I do my best.

“I ordered a tank of oil, the cat’s been fed, and I’ve left the ESB bills out for sorting.  They’re over there.”  He gestured with his cigarette.

“Umm.”  I mumbled into my coffee cup while half-tuned to CNN.

“Oh, and there’s an Xbox over there”

“Umm?” My attention reefed from the telly, I looked over my shoulder and sure enough there was indeed an Xbox console sitting on the kitchen table.  “What the…”

TAT regaled the tale of a rather ostentatious young man who’d been kicked out of a bar at silly o’clock this morning for being a pillock.  No other driver would take him, given that he was pretty belligerent and was whingeing about wanting to be let back in.  He got into the cab, and by the time he’d finished moaning and ranting about the bouncers they were almost at his destination, at which point he confided in TAT that he had no money, that he’d left his jacket behind in the pub.

Potentially €30 down, TAT began to grow pretty belligerent himself and told the kid that in no uncertain terms was he getting away with a free ride, that collateral would do until funds became available.

The kid disappeared into his house, and returned cradling his Xbox.

“This is my baby, man, I’ll be wanting this back, ok?  Seriously.  It’s the love of my life.”

“That’s up to you, mate.”  TAT supplied receipts and did everything but write his number on the kid’s forehead.  He drove away, baby on board.

hal

Oh don’t look at me like that.   If that’s not a Call of Duty then what is?!

1. Cat says:

Haha, brilliant!

Did he pay to get it back?!

2. tuli says:

Can’t wait to hear if the Xbox made it home to it’s daddy.

Not yet… he’s either still sleeping or wondering if he’s been robbed? Sucker.

4. susan says:

I do picture him waking up and shouting WHERE’S MY $(£*&ING XBOX? But, good luck—

I really don’t think I could be a taxi driver!

5. Cat says:

Hang on, why does that flag show me as being in Sweden?! I’m in Germany!

You know what I’m thinking? I’m thinking THANK GOD this chap doesn’t have a real baby… otherwise I’d be pretty busy this morning.

@ Cat; Your I.P. must be on holidays!! Bless.

8. Cat says:

How dare it go on holidays?! I want to be in Sweden!

And yes, a real baby would be a lot more hassle!

9. Kirk M says:

Be glad that the fare didn’t consider his girlfriend “his baby”. I would have settled for good bottle of scotch myself.

Four years of driving a taxi and not once did anything like that ever happen to me. Of course, considering the type of people that live in the hills and mountains of Vermont that’s not surprising.

10. That’s class. Don’t give it back…

Love the title too, classy.

Ha! Well get the most out of it while you’re babysitting! Did he leave the controllers too?

Haaa, real baby! Funny.

I do miss your taxi stories.

Kirk M; This is karma for the mobile phone I made him return before… you won’t believe this, but 2 weeks ago, somebody else left a satchel with a bottle full of Southern Comfort in it. Ok so Bourbon’s not to everybody’s taste but I had fun ;p

Xbox4nappyrash; Yeah thanks for letting me rob that!

Baino; We already have one, but it’s faulty. Yer man wanted to send it back to be repaired, but couldn’t stand to be away from it that long. This new one will babysit him!!! See, it works on so many levels it’s weird.

Jo; So do I :(

Just to let you know… the kid still hasn’t phoned about the Xbox…

Glee!

I’ve always wanted to adopt.

15. Holemaster says:

I left my wallet in a taxi last week. I got a call an hour later and the driver dropped it off to me, happy days. If you have business cards, always leave a few in the money bit so they know who to call!

And Yes K8, I gave him the €20 that was left in it!

And funny thing, I was sure it was a gold Lexus but it was actually a silver Merc.

16. Kirk M says:

I think I read something about you enjoying some backseat Southern Comfort. Nice fare that one. Never was into bourbon that much though especially types like Southern Comfort…too much sugar in it…gives me a lousy head in the morning.

17. TheChrisD says:

It is wrong to admit that I actually bought the shirt that has that on it…?

18. Quickroute says:

my bro dows this on a regular basis and leaves his blackberry as colateral – surprisingly gets it back most times

19. As long as he didn’t offer a bit of “the other.”

Nintendo DS I mean.

20. Nick says:

Given that so many people are unable to pay, perhaps it’s time for cabbies to ask for the fare (or at least part of it) up front before any wheels start moving?

Holemaster; Good advice! Or… just don’t carry a wallet.

KirkM; Yes but any port in a storm.

The ChrisD; NICE find. Not at all strange ;p

Quickroute; Most times? Hang on till I see if we have one of them here in our stash… heheh.

Terence McDanger; Those yokes annoy me. Brain training my arse! Get handwriting lessons morelike.

Nick; They generally would for fares above €30, but this was a short fare with an unexpected return to the pub halfway through the journey to search for the aforementioned jacket. What should have cost €22, turned out to be €31, or thereabouts.

22. Conortje says:

Drunk people must be the bane of a taxi driver’s life. The rubbish that one can spew after a long night out… I dread to think the things I’ve come out with over the years. Always had money for the fare though!