Jan 13

January's Dog's Bollocks

Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 in Awards!, Music, Rantings, Taxi driving

I’m going to try and keep this short and sweet, but you must understand that there’s a lot of passion being supressed.  This post could go on ’till next Autumn for all the potential content involved, but time’s short and the Chinese is on its way, fair play to him.

January’s Dog’s Bollocks award goes to Mr. Rick O’Shea.

Dog’s Bollocks?  What the F….?

Rick’s radio show has been my touchstone for humanity for the longest time.  He saw me through freezing weather in my forlorn days of window cleaning… his banter kept my soul nice and toasty.  It also broke the ice somewhat given my situation – a bunch of belligerent blokes with a female driver, my territory here (you understand) was somewhat ‘spurious, but Rick levelled us to the same domain with perfection.

Then came my taxi driving boredom.  From hackney to cabbie, the lost hours… those spent biting nails and scanning newspapers, waiting desperately for someone to fancy the thought of being driven anywhere… somewhere… the suspense of the next fare was healed by Rick O’Shea and his inane questions – questions that levelled Ireland to the same base instincts, the same issues, the same mistakes.  I felt so at home, so entertained… I actually cursed fares that interrupted my concentration on Rick’s show between 2pm and 5pm.

Now it’s gone.

This is the facebook protest if you’re into that sort of thing. (I hope the link works!)

2fm have seen it fit to call a halt to chat radio.  They seem to think that they’re the only radio station playing pop music, that they have the edge on popular radio, but the sad thing is (from my point of view), is that the only thing they have going for them is Rick, and Nikki Hayes, the popculture guru that can be heard before Rick’s slot.  These are the shows that determine real entertainment, something worth listening to.  They call out to the general public, they hand the day’s subject matter to us, to you and me, and in my opinion it’s genius.

“What’s the last thing you tore up?”

“When’s the last time you told someone you loved them?”

“What’s the most embarrasing thing you’ve ever done?”

It’s the closest thing to a radio blog… inviting the public to create an atmosphere that nobody else can match… it grounds us all and lets us know that we’re not alone, that we’re all human underneath.  I miss it so.

Rick’s slot is not gone yet, but his show is now lacklustre.  He has no more questions, he plays music that everyone else plays, his voice carries dampened undertones as though his baby has left home for good.  I hope he doesn’t mind me saying this, but his show (since he returned from New York) has joined the ranks of banality and I sense that this isn’t his fault.  He’s been shot down.

Why?

Fuck knows.

Cut Gerry (perve) Ryan’s salary, bring back Rick.  Oh ok, I love Gerry too, but seriously… he’s not worth that much.  Ray D’Arcy fills my slot far more adequately most of the morning time, so to speak.

Long live Rick O’Shea, he is indeed the Dog’s Bollocks.

Goodbye 2fm, you’ve lost a listener.

Me too. Especially Will. Love Will.

2. NaRocRoc says:

Race to the bottom anyone?

3. Holemaster says:

Ray D’Arcy fills your slot? You know Maxi will be calling in any minute now.

I’d like to see Gerry Ryan axed, in the back of the head. Have to say, don’t know Rick O’Shea’s show though but I don’t agree with this new policy. Anyone who wants to listen to new music listens to Phantom or Spin I’d have thought.

I have to admit, there’s something strangely liberating and rejuvinating about listening to Phantom.

5. Queenie says:

Nikki Hayes stayed at our Hotel, she’s really nice…anyway, Gerry Ryan…..one word…..WHY?

6. […] K8 The GR8 – January Dogs Bollox […]

Jo; Don’t tell me Will Leahy’s getting axed too?!?! I found him on d’facebuke – you got an add :) (Search – Will Leahyrte)

NaRocRoc; Indeed. I have my bitching shoes on.

Holemaster; Gerry Ryan just seems to love himself way too fucking much. And he loves talking about vaginas. If I want to talk about vaginas I’ll have a monologue in the bath like I usually do. I don’t need to hear about them while muching on croissants thanks very much.

Jo part II; The signal’s a bit spurious on the N11 though – then again that’s probably my arial’s fault. Perhaps I should try the good old fashioned coathanger trick.

Queenie; My other half seems to have a fascination with Nikki after he met her once before. I let it slide… it’s ample balance for my Robert Carlyle infatuation!

8. Maxi Cane says:

I don’t listen to 2fm anymore.

It was a great addition to my days stuck in the car.

Now I sing to myself and shout obscenities at other drivers.

BTW,
    Ever think of selling the story of how Ray D’Arcy fills your slot?

Ray fills all our slots, Maxi.

Will’s not getting axed, K8, I just heart him. Will check out his facebook, but I think me and facebook have had our last hurrah. Though, I hear scrabulous is back under a new name…

10. Ah, the lovely Rick. Remember when he got everyone looking out for that American guy travelling the country on horseback? he got some woman to grab him and put him on her mobile phone to him. Gonna miss all that. *sigh*

Oops, wrong Will!

12. Jack McMad says:

I wouldn’t say that the entire 2fm budget is spent on the G Money in fairness. A fair portion of it went poaching those two morning gobshites from FM104, Colm and Dim Jim.

Phantom’s great for music. Not your average Pop just great new music.

13. le craic says:

Here here to cutting Ryan’s salary – or just cutting him – with a sharp scissors.

Maxi; This blog is not for tales about my slot. My mother is reading.

English mum; There were the mad inventions/discoveries too… ’twas a great show for finding out about the latest gimmicks.

Jo; Which Will do you heart? How many Wills are there?

Jack Mc Mad; Ahhh the Strawberry Alarmclock – we used to listen to that every morning in our youthful carefree days… now we just sleep. Far too early for me, are dem lads, but I love their insanity.

Le Craic; Xtreme action… I like it. Rick deserves Gerry’s show, he was a huge hit when he did that temporary takeover, and is far more palatable in the mornings.

Don’t know him but anyone with the name Rick O’Shea has my vote. Hope they bring him back. Can’t stand talkback radio myself but his departure has caused quite a rucus.

Baino; Ricochet? Hopefully name by nature too :)

17. […] well aparently not: there’s maxi, cupid, boughal, shadows at sunset, tales from west cork, cackaloo, lecraic, anthony, mulley, golez, una rocks, tribune, darragh, una and the irish times… It is […]