Jan 9

I met my pet on the internet

Posted on Friday, January 9, 2009 in Humourarse, Music, Strange and Unusual

Nah, not TAT… I met him in a bar-room brawl in Finglas.

English ‘Dangerous’ Dave is the most socially unpredictable person in Wicklow Town if not the world.  Instantly friendly without a malicious bone in his body, he’s a sort of hero of mine.  To speak to him, you’d be reminded of Captain Jack Sparrow, that slightly ‘touched’ sort of free-spirit who acts as a magnet for free-floating loopers such as myself.  When I meet him out and about, I pry him for lyrics he’s written (usually by the seashore under a full moon under the influence of God-knows-what) because they’re familiar, funny, and always original; made extra cool by ‘is fick Landon accen’.

This music video below tells you exactly what I’m on about, and it’s a testament to the fact that even though a chap has no money, it doesn’t mean he can’t write, produce and sing on his very own video on the internet.  He’s got great friends and he’s loved, and that’s all he cares about.  Watch all the way through, it’s pretty damn funny with some excellent effects given their financial restraints, and the song ain’t too shabby neither, guaranteed to stick in the head.

‘I met my pet on the internet’
Dangerous Dave and the Side Effects

(‘Avin trouble wif de lyrics?  Here ye go:)

This is a tail, about a young man, looking for, companionship, on, the, in, ter, net.

I was looking for some fun, a little one-to-one
When I saw her ad, she was BAD, she had to be had.

We never met before, ‘coz she’s from Dublin 4
Me I live in Wicklow, I thought I’d say a quick hello.

She’s my pet, I met her on the internet
Her profile, an’ it drove me wild (x2)

I was lookin’ for a Leopard, but I got a German Shephard.
She’s a little moaner, ‘coz I’m her seventh owner.

She’s my pet, I met her on the internet
Her profile, an’ it drove me wild (x2)

She’s never alone with her mouldy old bone
That thing it keeps on minging, me I keep on singing. (x2)

She’s my pet, I met her on the internet
Her profile, an’ it drove me wild (x2)

It seemed just fine and dandy, not to mention bleedin’ handy
Three clicks, one bitch, washed down with a bottle o’ Brandy.

But now I’ve sobered up,
I’ve realised I’m not ready for a pup…

So I left my pet on the internet, I left my pet on the internet
I left my pet on the internet

I left my pet on the internet… I’ll never forget… MY PET!

Keep an eye out for Dave’s dad who makes a brief appearance somewhere around 2:46 in the song – the chap with the tambourine.  Seriously, there’s something in the water in that town.

1. Holemaster says:

.. I met my pet on the internet, I met my pet on the internet…

That’s the best name for a backing band I’ve ever heard of. I’d nearly get married just so I could have them play at the wedding.

2. Brilliant! The song and video are absolutely hilarious. Call me ‘tupid but that wouldn’t be Johnny Fox’s in the video, would it? :)

3. […] 9, 2009 by holemaster Check out K8s post about her mate English Dangerous Dave and his band, The Side Effects (what a name). She posted up […]

4. that has very catchy youtube potential

5. Kate says:

Brilliant!!!! What a sense of humour – send him back to England – we need a laugh over here!!!!

Holemaster; Yeah, but you’d want to be willing for that wedding to be a pretty fucked up occasion! In a good way, of course. I’m sure Dave’s Alsatian would marry you!

Jefferson; Nah Jimmy I’d never call you ‘tupid. I’m not sure, but I think the pub in the video is The Leitrim Lounge in Wicklow Town… I recognise a few of the locals! They would completely and utterly kick ass up in JF’s though.

Xbox4nappyrash; Hasn’t it just?! Totally above my expectations, I can’t stop watching it.

Kate; He’s our maniac now ;)

7. Holemaster says:

It they can beat the wedding I went to in Roscommon I’d be amazed – 300 people, most of whom ate the starters before the wedding party sat down. The men folk were all wrestling each other on the floor up at the bar with broken glass everywhere. I barely got out alive.

Ok maybe not THAT fucked up.

9. ‘I was lookin’ for a leopard, but I got a german shepherd’ are possibly the best lyrics I’ve ever heard.

Wicked. Innit, like.

10. Well Thanks to K8 the Gr8 for sharing My Pet with her friends. Thanks a million for the encouragement your kind comments are giving me right now. I’m truly gobsmacked.To put the record straight. The video was shot in 1 day in late september when my father, Des was in wicklow visiting, having him in it gives me the best kind of memory i could wish for. Jack Laverty and Ricky,Coolie an Dewy recorded the song with me and star in the video. Jack produced everything you see and kept me under control, Christer Kav’ participated throughout and can be seen jumping around with the hair. Locations..Leitrim Lounge, Bridge Tavern. The hall is The Cumaltus(the Boat House) Tom Merrigan and his daughter Michelle are in the Bar scenes. Many others showed up and joined in on the spur of the moment, i think that enhanced the FUN…Feel like i’m accepting an Oscar…Thanks again Everybody. myspace.com/dangerousdaveandthesideeffects

Ahhh Dave me aul’ flower, thanks for droppin in with a comment and the credits for the video – I was too afraid to attempt naming names in case I fucked it up and offended someone!!!

Keep it up, ya mad thing.

English Mum; Yeah, those lyrics knocked “Hot dog, jumping frog, Albequerque” right off the top spot!

13. Holemaster says:

Good old Prefab Sprout.

My favourite lyric is “Three clicks, one bitch…” Nice one Dave!

Could be the start of something big, didn’t Lily Allen start with an online clip?