Jan 2

Soft cloth my arse

Posted on Friday, January 2, 2009 in Quickie, Rantings

George Foreman grills are great n’all, but you know what gets me?  Their cleaning instructions.

-Do not use abrasive materials when cleaning your grill

-Do not use abrasive detergents

-Clean with damp kitchen towel and dry with a soft polishing cloth.

foreman

Yeah.  Right.

What they should say, is:

-Don’t worry about attempting to de-grease this yoke while it’s still hot, because obviously you’re too busy eating at this stage.  Instead, sprinkle a light dusting of baking soda on the surface, come back when the unit has cooled, then scrape the bollix out of it with that rather useless plastic tool we provide for you.

-Don’t use scouring pads (obviously), but don’t be lured into buying one of those gimmicky Foreman sponges either, unless you like the feeling of listeria infested rasher excrement between your fingers.

-Best of luck degreasing this contraption… hate to be you!

That’s what they should say.

I’m sure leaving it all there would just build up the flavour.

Let me see. If you pour some vegetable oil on it, that breaks the grease down really well.

Or you could disregard their instructions and use those Dettol wipes, they’re scarily effective. Mind you, they might leave a taste and poison you as well, not that I think about it.

Try white vinegar in a trigger spray bottle!

Nice tips!

That’s the thing about grills though.. whatever product you use, you’ve got to be prepared for a kitchen full of the smell of it when you next heat the element.

Foreman’d fish. Pee- yew.

That’s why I only use mine for toasted sandwiches, easy to scrape off burnt cheesey bits with the silly plastic tooly thing. (Actually mine’s a Breville Sandwich Grill but same principles apply. PS: Hope you’re eating Danish Bacon!

Ah you can’t beat Irish pork… biochlamydia threats or not.

Is that the Breville grill that makes shell-shaped sandwiches? I miss those.

George Foreman named all five of his kids George. Hmmmmm?

So what’s wrong with the old iron griddle that I put across 2 burners on the stove to make bacon or hot sandwiches or cheese steaks?

So there’s a ‘George Foreman Junior but not as junior as his younger brother?’ Mental.

*swoon* Brian you’re so butch

:p

8. No don’t use your arse instead of a soft cloth, it’d be unhygienic and might burn you.

Yeah, they’re a bitch to clean, non stick my left one.

9. We’ve been using the grills for years and found the best way to keep them clean is to run a folded sheet of kitchen roll over them while hot, to take off the worst of it.

Then after dinner, come back and set the grill to heat for 2 mins, then use a wet Foreman sponge to clean it. If it’s sticky stuff, then use a little washing up liquid on the sponge and wash off well.

10. Maxi Cane says:

I was actually commissioned to write the instructions for a rip off Irish version of a George Forman grill.

Oh the complaints.

Thriftcriminal; Could always re-layer the gunk with Teflon spray between cookings? I wonder if that would work.

Elly; The gunge and elbow-grease method. Yuk. No matter how much soap you use, everything winds up with a slick on it. I’m waiting for them to invent a mini steam-cleaner! Till then I’m with Jo… I reckon it adds flavour ;)

Maxi you got trapped! Nasty.

I thought you’d leave some comment about my being a scrubber, so that’s a relief!

13. I have one of those! I got about ten uses out of it before it went belly up. :)

14. Natalie says:

George Foreman grill will not feature on next years Christmas list….not that it ever has BUT now it never will! A good old pan and paper towel…

15. Nick says:

We have the ultimate solution to grill-cleaning problems. We never grill anything. Our problem is we can’t fry anything without spattering the hob with drops of fat. Haven’t cracked that one yet.

16. Hails says:

Heheh. You got it. I always feel like maybe I’m doing something wrong when I look despairingly at appliances that look like the one in your picture, feeling as if it’s just me and I’m doing something wrong. True, we’d probably be less inclined to buy something if they used that as their advertising picture, but I’d certainly appreciate the honesty. ;)

God, you can tell it’s the first week of January – 16 comments about cleaning a grill! We’re desperate for content, DESPERATE!

18. After he was widowed, D next door managed to feed himself and his kids for months using just his George Foreman.

I only stepped in when he explained how he cooked frozen chicken burgers and potato croquettes on it and one of the kids mentioned that some of the food was still frozen in the middle. Bless him.

It’s ok now though, he blew up the George Foreman and is working on furring up their arteries with his deep fat fryer.

Jefferson; Aye, sausages are bittersweet where George Foreman’s concerned. Mine is sulking.

Natalie; Teflon and ridges really are a terrible combination!

Nick; When I’ve finished frying I smear the spattered grease all over the hob… it brings up a lovely shine ;)

Hails; Like the pictures of Big Macs! They’re a far cry from the dribbly soggy wonky mess they actually serve up. Honest advertising is a contradiction in itself I s’pose.

Jo; Our brains are still griddled from all the debauchery!!

English Mum; Oh no! That sounds like a coronary nightmare – my deep fat fryer’s been buried in an old cupboard for 2 years full of manky oil. I’m afraid that when I go to do something about that it’ll put up a fight!! At least the kids next door will grow up with tough bellies :)

20. Queenie says:

Grannys right…vinegar, Jesus it cleans everything, even the mouths of gutter snipe kids.

21. Ha! I used to follow their ‘kitchen towel’ instructions religiously but not a bloody hope of actually getting the fucker clean. Now I just get a damp j-cloth and flitter it to ribbons with a unique, bicep-bursting saw action until the grill looks passably clean.

Needless to say, I use it sparingly.

Queenie; And, added to chipper chips, produces one of the nicest smells on this earth.

Moodog; Heheh they should have a grill cleaning simulator in gyms for bicep-building purposes!

23. manuel says:

yes, well……if you will eat in rather than go out……..hehehehe

Manuel; Touché!

Roy; If there’s a George Foreman heaven, I bet it’s almost full.

25. Kate says:

I hate to say it but my GF grill has removable plates that I just soak in hot soapy water and wipe clean before reattaching. And before anyone says anything – it was a present from my daughter and as she is the only one that uses it – its only fair that she got the easyclean version!!!

26. hey there

happy new year

I have george downstairs its great for steaks and my mums chops. I find the best way to clean george is to open him up so that the grill is off and get some hot soapy water and wring the cloth onto the grill leave it for 10 minutes and than gently wipe all the dirt off thats the way its works for me i hope that you find this advice helpful.