Dec 28

I dunno… what?

Posted on Sunday, December 28, 2008 in Family, Rantings, Strange and Unusual

I shouldn’t really be here.  I have nothing interesting to say, I packed my brain into a moving box at some stage and I can’t seem to find it, and I’ve looked everywhere.

The whole family seems to have gotten scurvy from my lack of intelligent culinary variations of cheap microwaveable food, for they are all very irritable and vocal and demanding.  I’ve been hiding in Facebook poker on my laptop in the kitchen, hoping I grow so still they can’t see me anymore.

I woke to hear the Christmas tree tumbling to the hard wood floor.  If a tree falls in a sitting room and nobody is there to hear it, let me tell you yes it does make a noise.  A very impressive noise.  Our giant Bob Marley poster had been pushed off the windowsill by the cat, and had thrown the tree off balance without smashing its giant glass face.  Rastafari.

I had a pretty angel on that tree, but she broke her wee porcelain arm in the fall, and her pretty white dove ended up skittering across the floor and under the fridge.  I superglued her back together, then superglued my thumb and index finger together for the craic.  It’ll be a while before that fingerprint grows back.

Just as I was recovering with a strong cup of tea, I heard a knock on my door.  My sitting-room door.

A man… some random neighbour dude walked in, told me he was a friend of Grandad’s which was good enough for me.   We watched The Pink Panther for two hours, then he left without saying anything else.

I like this neighbourhood.

Hmm.

You know, nail varnish remover gets off the superglue. Anything with acetone.

Friends of Grandad. Alarming.

I wonder who will be next?

Aww I broke a glass angel in a shop just before Christmas and the bastard made me pay for it. Now I have a one armed angel blowing a horn but she looks like she’s smoking a big cigar! You’d have thought he’d have given me her arm as well so I could glue it back on! Sorry I missed you on Skype the other day. Buzz in next time I’m online!

3. susan says:

Sounds like a magical place! I’m sorry about your angel, but glad you could superglue her anyhow (poor Baino!)

We have neighbours like that, a bit mysterious…walk in, deliver a tin of Quality Street, and sit looking at you (or your tv) for an hour or so and then gone.

I sympathise with the mutiny over cheap food: we’re living the same for a while, lots of soup, toast, and variations on a theme of scrambled eggs. I might have to threaten to let DADDY cook, just to shut them up.

4. I sympathise. We’ve all got the post-Christmas stares too. I think we did so much socialising that we’re all burnt out and can do nothing but breathe. I can’t believe I’m admitting to this but we’ve had potato wedges twice in a row, so don’t feel bad xx

5. Tim says:

Ha- sounds very similar to the new house I am in…although in Dublin maybe not as comforting! Sharing with two Polish guys who seem to have friends calling over all the time and definitely an open door policy since I have never heard a knock the few times I have actually been in. Bit same with the food since I have barely been there to eat…same meal at least 10 times in a row! Hope its going good for ya otherwise:-)

6. Kirk M says:

Ah, great video. Just what I needed. Besides, the Pink Panther is always good for the soul.

Looks like you not only have your house but a good neighborhood to put it in too.

Jo; Endless chewing also cures supeglue SNAFUs. More painful though. I had nail varnish remover, but it’s… in a box. Somewhere.

Baino; An unarmed Angel. That’s the way they’re supposed to be!

Susan; I got my oven today! Yippee! The microwave was starting to fry my noodle a bit.

English Mum; Prepetual hangover food :) My favourite!

Tim; It’s great! The unpacking has kind of lapsed since broadband and cable TV arrived though.

Kirk M; The neighbours don’t curse like sailors or throw rocks through my windows, so that’s always a lovely change :) Pink Panther is legendary, as with most visual gag cartoons, but somehow with more class.

8. Holemaster says:

I used to play the Pink Panther on the piano.

So did I! Never learned the second half though.. maybe some day. We must have a Panther jam sometime!

AW! The image of you two doing a pink panther duet is bringing tears to my eyes.

And a bit strange given that you don’t know what each other looks like…

But we don’t play piano with our faces?!?