Dec 6

The Power of One

Posted on Saturday, December 6, 2008 in Quickie, Something to think about

Give a thought to the environment this Christmas.

Instead of slagging the cheesy light displays that scourge the national grid every year, it only takes one minute to do the right thing.

Sneak up the driveway and unscrew ONE bulb in each light sequence.  Don’t remove it completely, the source of the problem would be too easy to spot.

One person, one minute, one bulb.  Save the planet and satisfy your inner evil child all at once!

You know you want to.

1. susan says:

Ooooo you naughty girl.

I got a serious beating for doing just that when I was 10. A few years later our neighbour bought all new light strings that would stay lit when one bulb blew out or was removed.

BLAST.

2. Ah, I really…really like this! It’s devious but not nefarious! Just call me the Light Bandit. :)

Susan; You mean like the LED light strings? Simple answer… peanut butter and a box of rats… they have strong teeth. I’m sorry you got busted for doing this once, all the true crusaders suffer for their cause though. Fair play to you.

Jefferson; Nefarious would be to earth the lights using the front door-bell. It’s always an option for the truly tacky.

4. Tinman18 says:

Great idea, K8.

We went round my friend’s estate one Christmas and moved everyone’s Christmas wreath one door to the left.

Nothing to do with the envronment, just felt like it.

I’d love to say we were just kids being kids, but we were in our twenties…

5. right i will get my sneeking gear on and start by swicthing off the xmas lights next door not only does it look tacky but a total waste of eletricity. although i might get micey and his gang of rats to do this for me now wheres me peanut butter..

6. Kate says:

Oh K8 what a fab idea – tonights the night then….. and they’ll never suspect me – upstanding middle aged nutcase that I am….. I’ll let you know…….

7. Holemaster says:

You evil wench.

There’s a Super Nova of a house on Bath Avenue which is switched on at the start of December every year and everyone else’s lights dim.

8. Tricia says:

Hey K8 – That’s an amazing display of lights for Ireland! If you lived over here and wanted to put out all the lights – you’d be busier than Santa himself – everyone has a light fest – it’s overwhelming to say the least. If you’re ever flying over our area, you’ll know where to come and have a cuppa – we’re the ones without the lights. Me and the kiddos are happy with our tree and Christmas music, thank you very much!

Hope you enjoy the holiday season – those Irish are becoming more and more like the Yanks every day… :)

9. Kelley says:

You big meanie.

You can sit in the corner with Scrooge McHusband.

Tinman18; You reminded me of the trips I used to take to Killiney golf course with my mates flag-swapping ;) Ahh, those were the days.

Vicky; Careful now – I should probably say that it’s never a good idea to ‘rat’ on your own doorstep, but have fun if you do.

Kate; And it’s a great excuse to buy that ninja-suit you’ve always wanted? ;)

Holemaster; Super Nova – !!! Savage. So that’s what’s been causing the brown-outs.

Tricia; Aren’t we? I have to admit I’m a sucker for pretty sparkly lights, but couldn’t be bothered faffing about on ladders! Some of the houses are just laugh-worthy though.

Kelley; We like it old-school. What can I say?

11. Keiron says:

I’m a fan of actually replacing it with a dead one… That way they can’t just go round and check they’re all tight – they have to test every single one….

This requires a stock of dead bulbs mind for all scenarios…… Ho hum……

Excellent excellent.

If this fails, maybe we need some white trash laws…

Keiron; I like the way you think!

Jo; There’s a joke somewhere in there about ‘Ho Ho Ho’, I just know it.