Nov 24

November's Dog's Bollocks

Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 in Awards!, Family

Nahh, I hadn’t forgotten… I just live longer months than everyone else.  It’s great.

I’m so proud of my Daddyo.  I have the manuscript for his book sitting on my living-room table.  I use it as a kettle-boiler, something to read while waiting for the toaster to pop… you know what I mean.  I called it a ‘Bathroom Buddy’ to his face this morning and he went very quiet, it’s probably not a nice thing to have your magnum opus associated with… erm… number twos.

Puppychild always gets curious when I pick up the seemingly clear A4 pages and sees it as a cue.  She roots around for a marker and wields it around like a Jedi, feeling the force of the blank page.

“Ya wanna draw a picture?” she’d ask.

“No I’m reading Grandad’s book.” I’d reply.

*Long Pause*

“Draw a picture of Grandad!!”  No amount of refusing will get her off my back when creativity is concerned, so I always end up having to go and get another scrap of paper and draw a beardy-stick-man on it.  She then sits happily drawing Grandads and singing Grandad songs while I read his book in the corner, chuckling every now and then.

Puppychild would look up occasionally after I’d let out a giggle…

“Whya laughing, mommy?”

“Grandad’s crazy.”

“Oh” she’d laugh… “Yeah!  Grandad’s crazy.  It’s ok, he’s allowed.”

… and we’d go back to doing Grandad things.

So on behalf of myself and my daughter, I extend a warm You’re the Dog’s Bollocks! to my dear old pop, one of my bestest fwends, a man who really does know everything.  We two are your biggest fans.

P.S. Whatever you read about me in this book of his, it’s all lies, don’t believe a word of it.

1. susan says:

An excellent choice!

And so cool to see an Amazon link to the book already. Our family needs a new bathroo–er, kettle buddy soon.

2. Maxi Cane says:

I won it before him, na na na na!

I am indeed flattered. Thank you. I shall emblazon it on my T-shirt and wear it with pride.

Incidentally, what’s a “Grandad song”? Do I know it?

Maxi – You were a mere testing guinea pig. This is the real thing.

Everyone else – “All characters, locations and events in this book are entirely fact. Any resemblance to any person, living or dead, which may occur inadvertently is completely intentional.”

I still can’t believe it’s not out for Christmas. Now I’ll have to ‘think’ about what to buy people!

Susan; It’s the sort of book that needs to sit among the cook books on the kitchen shelf – the red herring!

Maxi; Yes but you beggered for it and I don’t like cruelty to animals. B’dum ’tish. Ah no I’m on’y messin.

Daddyo; It does need to be on a t-shirt, doesn’t it? The Grandad Song goes to the tune of the song Ariel sings in ‘The Little Mermaid’ and the lyrics are: Graaandaaad, graaandaaad, graandaad grandad gran- daaaaad!!! It’s hard to represent the quality of the song with words but.

Baino; Print off the booking page from Amazon!! Tee hee – they’ll understand that it was worth waiting for, and it’s cheap to wrap ;0)

6. We have that stereo.

That is all.

7. I always love seeing you write positive lovely things about your dad K8, I never had that with mine and I love seeing it in others, always with a tinge of jealousy.

Gimme; Small world… I wonder are they related?

Gray Wright; I feel lucky :) The important thing is not to regret what you don’t have, but to try making up for it yourself maybe. Sometimes scars are good things.

9. […] Apparently she has awarded me her Dog’s Bollox of the Month Award. […]

10. warrior says:

I am lost is it published? whats it called?

It’s called ‘Headrambles with Grandad’, it’s not published yet, due to be released early next year.

The link above in the sentence ‘No I’m reading Grandad’s book’ refers to the Amazon site where you can pre-order a copy. Nifty!

12. NaRocRoc says:

No more deserving bollox than he!

K8, that photo looks suspiciously TIDY. Are you setting me up?

NaRocRoc; Now let’s not confuse matters… Bollox=BAD, Dog’s Bollox=GOOD. These things are important.

Jo; Heehee I had the girls over for a bottle or two last week, so spent four hours solid cleaning the place!!! It now looks pretty much like it did before, except the table still has polish on it and hasn’t had a chance to collect any dust.

It’s all good.

15. NaRocRoc says:

Aha, I was blind but now I see! Bollox indeed.

16. Ah great choice. If I had a DBOTM award he’d be mine too. Always available in a bloggy crisis. I lub the beardy one I do.

ERm… what’s that knobbly white thing next to the stereo you stole off Gimme?

17. Kirk M says:

K8: Such a wonderful daughter you are. And you sound like you really mean it too (I know you really do, don’t hit me). I offered to promote his book on my site and I’ll get right to it, I mean it. I’m just a little put off the US version of Amazon isn’t offering it as well (yet). I’ll have to talk to your pop about working out an exchange rate.

Grandad: You’re truly blessed to have such praise from someone you raised from a pup. Not every father can say that his daughter’s best friend is himself.

NaRocRoc; Ok, but that’s ‘Mr’ Bollox to you.

English Mum; Why that would be a vanilla smelling pine cone candle! I like to throw it at people I don’t like.

Kirk M; When you read the book you won’t think me such a wonderful daughter… but like I say, it’s all lies!!!

19. Kate says:

Well deserved K8 even if he is a slight bit tetchy at times, and what a good idea I will reserve a place on the bathroom bookshelf for my copy!
    I only hope Lord Bollox appreciates it!!!