Oct 16

Gummyboy

Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2008 in Family, Jobs

My son came home from school in parts today.

The main part was in his wheelchair as it usually is, the rest was wrapped in a tiny piece of tissue and sealed in an envelope.  Hollah to the Tooth Fairy – you’ve a stop-off here tonight!

It fell out in school, much to the dissapointment of his daddy, the Accidental Terrorist.  Terrorists like to exact pain on their victims… you know, the usual… for information, to make a twisted point, or just for the fun of it.  This terrorist however, has a more noble motive.

I’m sure you remember having wiggly teeth – impossible to leave alone, the focus of many hours of intesive tongue-work until finally it’s either knocked out, or pulled out by a cruel relative and a piece of string.  This is the natural way.

With Laughingboy however, it’s different.  His physical abilities are still on a par with a three month old’s, so he can’t deliberately play with it.  He can’t wiggle it or give it gentle tugs like your usual seven year old, and he certainly can’t muster up the courage to give it that final yank.

Instead, one of us has to do it.  We can run the risk that if he swallows the tooth, he’ll most likely be fine, but if he inhales it, he could do some nasty damage to his breathing apparatus.  When I say ‘one of us’, by the way, I mean ‘not me’.  I’ve tried.  I can’t pull teeth.  It’s not in my genes apparently.

TAT, however, sent me a photo of the first one he pulled from Laughingboy’s skull.  He was proud as punch, his son’s hero.  When the next one (the one that fell out today) showed first signs of wobbliness, TAT was right on it.  He wiggled it religiously every day, gave it gentle tugs… ‘I’ll have that out any day now!’ became his mantra.  I just watched and cringed.

This was why TAT was gutted to see the little brown envelope today and a big gap in Laughingboy’s smile.

“That was mine to pull.”  he sulked.

I would’ve been slightly disturbed by that comment if I didn’t know better.

1. Tuli says:

Hopefully the Tooth Fairy will give Laughingboy a ton of goodies.

And another wobbly tooth so that TAT can do his fatherly duty again.

2. We have a gappy toothed lass in our house too. Delighted with herself she is.

3. stipes says:

gap toothed 7 year olds, dontcha luv em

Haha . . my dad used to threaten he’d tie a piece of string to the tooth and secure it to a door knob then slam the door! He never did. What I want to know is what happens to the rest, I only remember 3 or 4 teeth every coming loose with my kids! I guess most get swallowed!

That was weird.

The things you never think of.

These stories fill up my heart a little. Good parenting, you guys.

6. Quickroute says:

Flash back! – I can taste the blood as I tweeze it out – Yikes -thanks for the memories – i think!

Tuli; Puppychild is most worried of all – she spent the afternoon trying to put the tooth back in! On discovering the Tooth Fairy’s bounty this morning however she seems to understand. I hope she doesn’t try ripping out her own teeth now.

Thriftcriminal; Can she hail taxis? :)

Stypes; Fierce comical looking, so he is!

Baino; Same here! When did the back teeth fall out? I can’t remember either – I fear those ones will pose to be toughies.

Jo; Gawd bless Paedee Nurofen, eh?

Quickroute; I reckon we’ve evolved that much that we should shed our adult teeth again at age 35 and get new ones. That’d save a fortune on dental bills!

8. Kelley says:

Well he would be sorely disappointed here then. Boo pulls out his teeth whether they are ready or not.

I only know when I see the blood stained clothes and walls. Oh and twice his aide at school…

9. Natalie says:

Ahh those gappy gummy days…so far behind me! Kirstin liked to KEEP her teeth and one day left it on the bathroom windowsill…her grandfather thinking he was doing her a favour swapped it for a shiny coin and oh boy did we have tears! Ahhhhh…thanks for the fond memories!

Kelley; Yes I thought of Boo a few weeks ago and marvelled at his tolerance levels – and yours. He’s a lucky kid, so he is. Hell of a memory, too.

Natalie; I kept my incisor tooth in the shell of my Finders Keypers :)

11. Medbh says:

I pulled my younger sister’s tooth out when we were wee ones because she wanted the dollar under the pillow to spend. Well there was much yanking involved and she screamed and had me in trouble.
    To be fair, she was and is an evil bitch and deserved it.

Arrgh!!! Jeez, I hope you got a cut of the dollar from that?!?!

13. We’ve got a super-wiggly tooth in our household too, right now. One twin has lost 5 teeth and counting, but the other hasn’t lost a one and no sign of a wiggle yet, poor wee soul. She handles it well but I can see the disappointment in her eyes when her sister starts another wiggler.