Sep 19

Irish Stew with a sweet chilli kick

Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 in munchies

I don’t like to publish recipes because more often than not, they’re pretty unhealthy and I don’t want to be held responsible for blown arteries, but this is an exception.  I made it for the aul’ pair on the day they returned home, and got a call later, turns out it was quite the hit!  They asked me for the recipe but they’ll only lose it so I’m publishing it here instead.

Irish Stew with a sweet chilli kick OR more simply, Leprechaun Stew.

Stuff you’ll need:

1lb cubed beef (cut it into smaller bits preferably… chewage of sinewy meat is not sexy)
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tin chopped tomatoes
1 big-ass onion chopped into chunks
2 or 3 carrots, chopped
4 or 5 medium-ish spuds, peeled and chopped into bite sized bits
1 pint beef stock
1 knob of butter (enough to butter two slices of toast generously!)
2 cloves garlic, mashed
2 small chopped red chillies (with seeds) OR 1 tsp dried chilli seeds
2 teaspoons brown sugar
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 splodge tomato ketchup
5 sun-dried tomatoes (sliced)
Salt & Pepper

Method:

This is to be prepared several hours in advance and left to simmer on a very low heat until ready for eating… this lets the chilli infuse so that there’s less sting and more taste. Overnight cooking is even better yet.

1. Heat your hob on a high setting, and heat the olive oil in a heavy-bottomed stewing pot. Add the meat (don’t let the oil and meat heat together, the beef will only absorb the fat) and let it cook for a few minutes. Add the onion, garlic and pepper and allow to sizzle for a few minutes while you’re chopping your veg.

2. Add the carrots, spuds and sun dried tomatoes, then empty the can of chopped tomatoes into the mix. Tomatoes by their nature are very bitter, so add the brown sugar and ketchup to balance it up a bit. Add chillies and stand away from the steam, lest you end up coughing your lungs out! Add the beef stock, Worcestershire sauce, salt and butter*.

3. Mix the lot up well and turn down the heat to a low setting. Place a lid over the pot with enough room for steam to escape, and allow the contents to stew gradually for at least 4 hours.

4. Serve piping hot with crusty buttered bread to mop up the debris!

Sorry there’s no photograph to accompany this, but it was scoffed too quickly.

* An aul’ splash of red wine probably wouldn’t hurt either if you have some lying around ;)

I have tasted some good stuff in my time, and this is a contender for the top of the table. It is FANTASTIC!!!

I had to render Herself unconscious to get the last plateful.

2. As my darling son would say ‘yum scrum pig’s bum’, that sounds deeelicorish. I might have to give this a go for Sunday lunch. I will report back in an intrepid manner *exits furtively*

3. robert says:

I have to bookmark this! Cheers K8!

Dad; I learned all my experamentative additions from you! (The king of curry powder :)

English Mum; It’s a great lazy dinner, you can’t bate the one-pot stuff!

Robert; Nae bother :) It makes for a good winter’s day warmer!

5. Kelley says:

Hmmmm, I have all that shit in my pantry… do I dare?

6. TheChrisD says:

I personally prefer more sting, so don’t leave it to simmer for as long?

7. Lottie says:

Sounds delicious! I think stew can be a bit bland but this might spice things up nicely. Thanks K8 Sunday lunch sorted.

Now I wish you’d posted this a couple of months ago! Getting a bit warm for stew in these parts! Sounds uber tasty petal. You forgot to mention not to pick your nose after cutting the chillies.

Kelly; It’ll warm your cockles if you’re that way inclined… hey it’s nearly summer there though. Bee-otch!

The Chris D; I was hoping someone would ask that. For proper K8 style stew, leave it to simmer for the same amount of time, but add a further 2 chillis/1 tsp chilli seeds about an hour before the end. Serve sprinkled with lime-juice, and maybe some Greek yoghurt/Creme Fraiche/Natural yoghurt, in case things get out of hand.

Lottie; It might be the sundried tomatoes… they’re a great beefer-upper. Chilli rocks though. If I had my way there’d be chilli ice-cream!

Baino; Another summer bee-otch!!! That’s it. I’m coming over there to pitch a tent in someone’s garden. Will several packets of Taytos be enough to pay the rent?

10. Quickroute says:

I like the idea of more chillies. I grew up in a plain ol’ meat n potatoes house. White pepper was as adventurous as we got. I now can’t get enough of the hot n’ spicy stuff. I got my hands on some Bolivian peppers yesterday and its going to be hot in here!

11. Doc says:

that was not half bad. i did, indeed, add some good red. and i spiced it up a bit to suit the hew and cry of the Astas, but well done, well done.

i owe you one…

12. gaye says:

K8, I cooked the stew as per your recipe, with the only modification of using tomato and hot pepper paste instead of ketchup, and it was so so so good. Thank you! Do you have any more recipes you could share perhaps? :)
    G

13. Hi there, thank you very much for that. I was looking for a meaty stew recipe to help me get through the xmas months, and this sounds perfect. I found an entire stew recipes site here too that seems to have loads of good stuff, maybe your readers can get some more inspiration there. Anyway, thanks, I will bookmark and read more another time ;)