Jun 6

Lisbon roundabouts

Posted on Friday, June 6, 2008 in Hackney Cabbing, Humourarse, Rantings, Something to think about

I lifted Mrs O’Leary’s swollen ankles into the passenger’s side of my car.  I could tell she was embarrassed and angry with life that she should be in the position to ask a perfect stranger to do so, so I made light small-talk as I sat back in the driver’s seat.  Mrs O’Leary was quiet, she seemed tired… her lump of groceries in the boot was a fair reason for this, so I turned on the air-flow and pumped up the radio volume…

-settling *groan* from O’Leary-

… and animated voices filled the car as I drove toward Soldier’s Row.  Matt Cooper was fiercely battling for the last word with several hot headed YESsers and NOers of this hilarious Lisbon Treaty, and  I confess to going ’round a rind-about maybe too many times just to hear what this one lady (Kathy Sinnot) had to say.  When she finished her point, she received a round of applause and my passenger collapsed beside me with laughter.  It was a most wonderful and welcome sound.

“Jaysus but that clinches it for me!  I’m gonna vote NO just to piss them off!”  she began to breathe quickly and excitedly and I knew a rant was on it’s way.  “It’s gas… nobody really knows what’s goin’ on!  I was watchin’ a chap get de twenty questions dere on d’telly last night – sure de more he said de more confused he go’ –  I’ve never heard anyone say so much withou’ sayin’ so little!!!  Now here’s yer one… she’s got them by the bollix and they haven’t a clue what to say ‘coz they haven’t read the feckin’ thing either!!!”  she collapses with laughter once more.

“Think abourd’i… ”  she says, breathing her giggles out “…if we all vote NO at least they’ll org’nise it better the next time ’round!”

I had to admire her logic.  I’m not really comfortable either signing a contract that’s written in double-dutch.  And those posters?!?!  Please.  Those slogan’s aren’t even impressing the village idiot.

I’m proud to be European, I like this neck of the woods.  I’m not sure that I trust Ireland’s system fully, they seem to be making a lot of dodgy choices lately.

(I’m playing ‘Sim City’ on the Nintender DS in between fares in the taxi these days.  I tried raising taxes and decreasing funding on public health, transport and education to free up more funds and guess what?  The poplulation all fucked off to find better living elsewhere… haven’t we all dreamed about doing that?  Why are we still here?!!)

So I’m thinking… maybe it’s a double-bluff?  Maybe the NOers found the small print and are scrutinizing the things that probably won’t happen? It just seems like the original ink has had coffee spilled on it-  it’s just a blurred mess and now everybody’s trying to remember what it might have said.

I’m saying NO on this, the 5th of June with nine days to go.  The YES people had better all shut up, or make some factual sense in that time because otherwise you’re just pissing me off.

(Toxic Steve)

I love my Ireland – she’s beautiful but she’s run by muppets.  I like to think of her as independant, but that might just be my blood talking…

“We declare the right of the people of Ireland to the ownership of Ireland, and to the unfettered control of Irish destinies… The long usurpation of that right by a foreign people and government has not extinguished the right, nor can it ever be extinguished except by the destruction of the Irish people.”

Are these just pretty words?

Mrs O’Leary sure had a bounce in her step after she tipped me €5.  I think she saw the light.

(Don’t click this link by the way.)

This is what I left on Bocks blog so I guess I’ll puke it here too…

Ok I’ll chime in. I don’t have a dog in the fight, so here goes.
    I was of the mind that the whole idea of the EU was to turn each sovreign state into a state along the lines of our states (USA). In that each country can make it’s own laws unless those laws run contrary to federal (EU) law. The big difference between the EU and the US… THAT I SEE… is that the EU retains pre-emption. In other words…Here there are explicit powers granted to the federal gub’mint and, theoretically, all other powers are held by the state but in the EU they, the federal gub’mint, hold the ultimate power.
    The whole Lisbon treaty is so convoluted that my first instinct is to get rid of it.
    My understanding of this Lisbon thing is that if the Irish people vote no then the EU powers are set to implement all it contains in bits and pieces by fiat rather than a vote.
    So it seems to me that if one wants to be a state of the EU and everything that entails then vote yes. If you want to hold on to your sovreignty and the fact you are the Rebublic of Ireland then vote no.
    This is just my view from without.
    please excuse my typos

2. Quickroute says:

re: “I love my Ireland – she’s beautiful but she’s run by muppets.” –

and those muppets are voted for by muppets too! – not that there’s much choice in fairness! – I empathise – When the choices are this limited – it’s ‘fire or ‘frying pan!’

3. I also approve of the traditional European model of center-left policies. I’m just not convinced that those running around in the upper echelons of the EU still adhere to that philosophy. Watch now over the next 18 months of economic difficulty and pay attention to what kind of new and interesting EU policies will be touted as “essential to getting our economies back on track”. In fact, watch our shower of shitehawks even more closely. I had a jaundiced view of humanity, if “no” happens I may have to re-evaluate.

4. Nick says:

“We declare the right of the people of Ireland to the ownership of Ireland, and to the unfettered control of Irish destinies”. Dead on. Just as long as American military planes can stop off at Shannon and all those American multinationals can work their employees into the ground.

5. 5h4mr0(k says:

I’ve been thinking about it long and hard, and had trouble making my mind up, but that post has clinched it for me. I’ve I’d know sooner it might have saved me some restless nights. I’m well impressed. ‘Sim City’ is on the DS – wow! I’m going to get one.

Muppets by muppets! Another fine example of why Democracy doesn’t work.

The world needs more Mrs O’Leary’s!

Will you be stepping up to the plate and standing for election next time round?

7. WooHoo!!! Kudos to Mrs. O’Leary! :) I knew my faith in the Irish people to make the right decision was not erroneous. I’m just a wee ‘Merkan, but I talked to several people on the streets about it, especially those handing out pamphlets, and received a mixed review on the Treaty. In the end, it’s all about money and power! The global elite want it regardless of the consequences.

The same thing is happening here under our noses. At least you are well informed. :)

8. I’m away in a land that no longer has the right to vote on it, because they voted no for its predecessor, go figure that one out, but basically, if I don’t know what it is, and far too many people don’t, how the hell could I vote for it?

BrianF; This is my dilemma, see. I’d love for Ireland to keep her independance, but I’d also love to change the powers that rule her. There are horror stories all the time about collapsing pre-fab schools and closed hospital wards – yeh know yerself… funds keep dissapearing into black holes, it’s amazing what our leaders are getting away with.
    THEY need the big-brother treatment for a change.

Quickroute; I like the whole thing (except the posters) – it’s giving us something more interesting to talk about than the weather.

Thriftcriminal; I’m having a Jade Goody moment. Could you explain centre-left policies? I’m having a tough time figuring out if these dudes are up to scratch or not. Some of the NOers are making them out to be right Nazis.

5h4mr0(k; Sound. I’m not so good at polytics but I gave it a twisted stab anyway. Hopelessly addicted to SimCity, though it’s not as good as the PC version :(

Grannymar; I hate politics. Mind you maybe all politicians should hate politics too… they’d be far more efficient.

Jefferson; Not so well informed… well aware of it alright, but still kindof confused.

Xbox4NappyRash; I’m wondering if the confused ppl just won’t bother voting at all. That would screw things up nicely.

Jefferson; I could only download the first 5 min of that video or I’d be here for hours but seriously… what’s goin’ on?! Is this another cleverly edited bit of conspiracy or is it really happening? It all looks a bit mental to me!! Must watch it in me aul’ lad’s house.

11. Kirk M says:

Seems like our respective Constitutions (declarations of independence/sovereignty?) are all just becoming pretty words these days. The US went through holy hell when the various “territories” were formed into “States” just a couple centuries ago give or take and so far it’s still working. It was hardly what you would call easy though. It came with a high price that was paid by all.

Uniting the “old world” though, as it used to be called, where the countries involved are steeped in traditions and histories that span through several millennium instead of a mere 2 and some odd centuries has got to be a tremendous undertaking with extraordinary consequences both good and bad as the process goes on. I don’t envy you and yours and the choices that have to be made, especially if your government is full of Muppets as you say it is. Remember, the only way a (sort of, nothing is pure) democracy will work is if the people remember that they own the government, not the other way around.

Make your choices wisely then. There were times in our country’s history where we weren’t so wise in our choices or we failed to make any choices at all and we paid the piper for it.

Wishing you folks fair weather and a following wind.

12. Crikey, I forgot you were on dial up. Sorry! :) It is a bit mental but they do have facts to back up what they are saying in the video. I try not to think about it too much. Cerebration can be quite arsenic to the funny bone! ;)

13. Center-left = looking after people but not going as far as communism. In other words, state health care (no not like here, one that works properly), well funded education, proper welfare, a healthy degree of state ownership in essential industries (energy/food) etc.

Kirk M; The lack of power us citizens have is quite alarming! There are a few radio shows explaining the whole thing in layman’s terms extremely well… why do they have to do the gub’ment’s job?

Jefferson; Yes I agree. Thinking makes my head smell funny.

Thriftcriminal; Why that sounds lovely… I’d like for Oirland to be under that umbrella, but without the bullshit smallprint or the invisible ink!

15. warrior says:

It is a very decent proclamation from 1916 that was ahead of it’s time. The problem is exactly the muppets and the muppets who vote them in.
    Most Irish people who leave don’t ever go back. I have my eyes opened to how small some of those self important muppets are. basically we are screwed. If I was home I would vote no too.

16. Kirk M says:

But isn’t that just politics though; both government and corporate?

Speeches and explanations full of Tricky Words and Catchy Phrases, politicians bringing a couple hundred gallons of pre-made frosting-inna-can to squirt on the public at large hoping to sweeten them up some. Reel ’em in with rhetoric and “corp-speak” and leave it up to the media and those citizens who actually bother with doing the research (which they hope they won’t) to explain it to the rest. It’s a centuries old way of doing business. It’s the people’s responsibility to constantly remain wise the the ways of their government so to keep a tight reign on them. Complacency is our greatest enemy here.

Power of the citizen? If the larger majority voted NO (in a landslide type of difference between yea’s and nae’s, nae’s taking the fore) on the Lisbon treaty for example and the government ignored the outcome of that vote and actually signed the treaty anyway regardless of the people’s decision–that is a true lack of power of the citizen. I won’t pretend to know a lot about the history of the Irish government over the past couple of decades or so but I would hope that it doesn’t involve a lot of back stabbing as far as ignoring the people’s votes on past issues.

The citizens of the U.S. have suffered from the same lack of power in regards to our Presidential elections and always have but that’s about where it stops and the “voice of the people” actually has a tremendous amount of influence if the people manage to get off their collective butts and start exercising their right to be heard (no, I don’t mean protests) which includes keeping their governments under control. It’s a two way street of course and I have a hard time believing that the people of Ireland don’t have the same type of rights and abilities.

Sheesh, now listen to me will ya? You’d think I was some kind of rebel or something. Must be my Scottish blood heating up. :D

17. gaye says:

But K8 m’dear, can a country who joined in with EU still maintain its independence???? I think the ones that can do that are the big-guns of Europe, that started the EU, the ones who sit down and pen the vague Lisbon Treaty. The ones who assimilate the cultural traits of every single EU country, trying to mould them into one and only, that THEY decide is the best. England, France, Germany… Why doesn’t England switch to Euros? Every other fekkin country in EU had to?
    Ireland enjoys funding received from EU in a lot of different projects, but is anxious about influx of people from new EU countries with the “freedom of movement within EU”… Can’t have one without the other…
    I sincerely hope that a majority NO vote comes out of Ireland, to show that her body might belong to EU but her soul is free as a bird. I really do.
    Gx