May 30

Get real

Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 in Uncategorized

There’s a darn good blog out there, I don’t know if you’ve come across it before… it’s only a few months old.

No, wait.  ‘darn good’ doesn’t cut it.  Revolutionary, maybe.  It is a blog with many users, though nobody knows exactly how many, and only one username.  It is total and complete anonymity, created for the expulsion of secrets from the souls of virtual people.  Why would you want to hear other people’s secrets?  Because the un-told facts are comforting and can help to soothe its reader’s secret paranoia, and it’s a glimpse at the true raw undercoat of society.  It’s why we love those glossy magazines with Geri Halliwell’s stretch-marks all over the cover.

I coud be anyone. I could say anything. And a small part of the whirling cloud of secret lies in my head can lift and I can feel a little lighter as I go through the day.

This is what confession was for, before we all lost faith.

This is what God used to do before we stopped believing in him.

There is no God and so we blog. (Anonymous)

To quote a comment on one of the posts:

I confess to the last post of humour and I put it there because I felt the tone of the writing & comments so far was too serious and too self-absorbed. Contrary to funny, the comments to me have an air of forced false sympathy & I think they need to be more real.

It was my protest against the blog turning into a place to wallow and be wallowed without constructive support or advice.

Sit on the fence why don’t I. (Anonymous)

It’s time to get real, to learn how to let go of social conditioning and face the begrudgers.  Fair play Rick O’Shea (hey that rhymes…) for thinking it up.

It’s called:

1. This looks intriguing – I’ll definitely investigate. Thanks!

2. Rick says:

K8, I had genuinely no idea people would embrace this the way they seem to be… Not my idea though :-) I’ll have to credit where it’s due although he wants to remain anonymous…

Thanks for the nice words :-)

3. […] Where Credit’s Due So many people have said so many lovely things about The Lives Of Others since I brought it out of the shadows this week, many crediting me with being […]

4. K8 comes through again. Tis a very interesting blog concept. :)

Jenny; I can’t wait to see where it ends up. It seems such a great concept, but open to certain dangers perhaps?

Rick; I read about that on your bleurg. You can take partial credit for it though! You’ll be glad you did when it gets sold to Yahoo! in 2012 for $100,000,000,000 :)

Jefferson; It’s brave. I’m not sure I could write all the dark things out like that, let alone publish it on the internet. It would be like throwing up on someone else’s shoes.

6. Natalie says:

Oh, I love it! I decided to start another totally anon blog about 3 months ago. I was going to mutter about all sorts of things without having to hurt any feelings, and say exactly what I wanted, bad mother day/bad wife day/plain bad day…sadly i do not get to do that on my blog – it is more for family and friends to see what we are going through. Thought people who would stumble across it might think, oh wow it is not only me! Sadly I am not very good at all the secrecy stuff and somehow hubby sort of cottoned on, via my new email address…don’t ask and I canned it. BUT I love the anonymous idea!!!

I’ve noticed some bloggers are getting paranoid about writing styles, one mentions writing a post, translating it into another language and then back again!

This secrecy thing is a tricky subject. That’s why I like the idea so much!

This secrecy thing is a tricky subject

Type with your left hand, to disguise the writing.

9. Natalie says:

LOL – Thanks for the advice Grandad – it really works!!!

Sorry? Who said that?