Apr 16

A sunny evening incident

Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 in Hackney Cabbing, Jobs, Quickie

I picked up a few Galweigans from Johnny Fox’s today, let them out for a quick ice-cream at the Spar in Enniskerry, then brought them up to the Ritz-Carlton where they were staying.  I asked them what it was like, being that these seemed a particularily un-snobberly bunch of people.

Betsy- Ah, it’s graaand… you know, don’t go in if you have dirty shoes though!

Me- So how long are you staying in this neck of the woods?

Betsy- Just the one night, home tomorrow.

Betsy’s son (leans forward from back)- We saved for two years for this holiday!

I throw my head back and laugh heartily until I realise that they aren’t laughing with me.  I picture a sad-looking penny jar much like my own.

Me- I hope they wipe your bum for you?

Betsy (with complete agreement from son)- They don’t have toilets in there!

Me- Huh?

Betsy- Sure nobody in there has an anus!  *collapses in laughter*

Betsy’s son- *sighs contentedly* Ahhh… the guinness in Johhny Fox’s goes a long long way…

1. Ha ha!
    Make sure you ask all of your hotel-staying fares what their accommodation is like….you are bound to hear some stories!

2. I used to work a radio that had an account with Johnny Foxes, used to love riding the hills across to Tallaght with the kitchen staff. I got used to the fishy smell after a while

3. Excellent! Sure you were but a stones throw from my gaff, you could have dropped in for a cuppa. Oh the roadworks around are Luas works and “upgrades” that apparently involve us loosing 400 square meters of our green space and a damn fine hedge.

4. Foreigner says:

I don’t even have a penny jar.

Well, there’s sad-looking ceramic pig on the kitchen window sill alright. Sad mainly cause it’s manky (kitchen fumes, years of neglect by lazy Foreigner…)

Don’t think it’s contents will buy me a night in Ritz-Carlton though. :D Not that I’m bothered in slightest.

Anyhooo, keep those tidbits coming, might become damn useful should I happen into your neck of woods!

5. Was that the place that was fifty quid to have your nails painted? Meh, they could have stayed at Thrifty’s and had more money to spend on the Guinness!

Queen of Clean; I’m sure the Ritz is impeccable that way. It’s the sort of place that burns used sheets and buys new ones for each guest.

Roy; The road from JF’s to Enniskerry is a great buzz. It’s extremely twisty and so steep, it’s almost vertical. Freewheeling down that hill at 80kph with drunken passengers is way too much fun!

Thriftcriminal; On the new Cherrywood line, are ya? You reminded me of the lyrics of a song from an old ‘Black family’ album my parents used to have:
    ‘They’re going to build a motorway through me back garden,
    No-one can decide why I came to be chosen.
    They’re going to build a motorway- they’re ripping up me trees
    And soon the lorries will be zooming through me cabbages and peas!’

Foreigner; I seriously promote the idea of a penny jar… it’s gotten me out of trouble many many times, especially where the coal-man is concerned.

English Mum; I looked up room rates, and found that a double suite overlooking the sugarloaf mountains or powerscourt gardens costs €1,950 pp per night. Oooh-er, dahling.

7. warrior says:

You should try some to the roads around Nice and Monaco. As for the lack of an Anus they must be all related to the place I work in. …………………..you know the Grand Prize is run there everything and there is some sort of 10 shilling prince running the place. Yep everyone here I think stays in that hotel.

8. Well, it’s not specifically my land, it’s general green area in the estate and I’m on the residents association sub-committee in charge of bending the council’s ear about such things. Terribly suburban.

Warrior; If you can’t beat ’em… blow ’em up.

Thriftcriminal; Pft. Good luck with that.

Thanks for the laugh :)

I just heard a story from America. A cabbie in New York gave a fare to an old lady. After she left he found a bag with $100,000 in it! He managed to track her down, and she asked him if he had thought of keeping it. He admitted he had driven down to the Mercedes showrooms, as he always wanted one. but had decided to be honest. He returned the cash to her.

A few hours later, he got a call from the Mercedes showroom to say there was a brand new car waiting for him!

What would you have done?

11. I think its more that the Galway folk are more inclined to defecate outdoors anyway.

more liberating.

or something.

Mammy; There’s a little trick I learned off The Wire. You cut a sheet of paper into bits the same size as your banknotes. Then you roll them up and cover them with a single real note, so that you end up with what looks like a wad of cash. That’s what I’d do.
    Ah no, I worry about karma too much to be dishonest about things like that. The Accidental Terrorist had a wallet left behind in the car on his first night and he gave it to me to hand in the next day. Neither of us opened it, to my knowledge. I’ve no idea what was in there.
    We got a card, a box of Roses, and a 20 bob note as a thank you :)

Xbox4NappyRash; Careful, my mum’s from Galway and she’ll beat you up. No really, she will.

I think driving a cab would be fun. I’m sure like anything else it might get old but at the very least you have some good times doing it. What ever happened to the window washing?

I lurve a weekend stay in a hotel! A posh one anyway, it’s the closest I get to feeling filthy rich . . the kids laugh at me because I make the bed in the morning! Eeejit. At least you’ll never be short of blog fodder!

15. ah tis alright, I’ll get away by telling her I’m off out for a quick one and then scarper…

BrianF; It fell foul to dodgyback syndrome. There are staff still out there cleaning windows for us though!!! Not for too much longer though, I reckon. It’s getting old, as you rightly put it.

Baino; I seriously don’t understand this mentality!!! My best bud does this too… she recently chose the Radisson to stay in for a weekend with her hubby. That would’ve paid for a week in Prague!!!! WHY?!

Xbox4NappyRash; She can run fast though… especially if she thinks you’re buying.

17. that kind of reminds me of a totally unrelated story…

I was in a pub in Holland, with a friend of mine and his brother in law who was visiting from Cork.

Now, in the pub, we were running a tab, so we’d just call the beer and settle up before we leave.

I was the only one with the cupla focal dutch at the time so I always did the calling.

after about 3 hours of this, and a good 8 or 9 beers later, brother in law hopped up off his stool and declared, you’ve bought enough now, let me get the next one…

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!

Bless!!

19. Camron says:

That’s a terrific story!

btw – how old were Mum and Son? If Son was a grown-up, it’s hilarious. If not, well… *cough, look uncomfortable, turn away…*

It’s okay… son was in his 30’s, but very exiteable for his age :)

Well a weekend in a posh hotel costs a lot less than a week in Prague. I live in the arsehole of the world remember! Can’t just skip over the pond and into Europe and a weekend in Irian Jaya or East Timor doesn’t really do it for me!

Thailand, baby!!!

You could stay for a month in Thailand living like a Queen instead of spending it on a rainy weekend in Enniskerry…