Apr 11

Posh Spa

Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 in Hackney Cabbing, Jobs, memememememe

I’m the tiredest person in the world.  From being unemployed (or a ‘Home Engineer’ as I like to put it) to a full-time cabby in less than 60 seconds has taken it’s toll a bit!  Me poor blog has taken to the backburner, but I’ll try to keep her ticking over – at least until I’ve finished programming photos into me Celtclanink.com, which is a task that hangs over me like a box of Acme TNT.  Pardon me if I’m a bit quiet.

I love being a cabby, me.  Bray is full of diversity… it’s only been a week and I’ve already met the village idiot and the new Messiah!  Seriously though, taxiing is a rich farm of interesting conversations.  Everyone wants to talk to a stranger, as Pedro rightly pointed out during a game of Colin McRae after work today.

I made my first taxi-punter regular!  A girl and her fella took a shine to me last week and by coincidence, got me again today.  When her boyfriend hopped out, she got me to drive her to the top of the town, then back down to the bottom again in rush hour traffic.  She was in the car for almost an hour but we spent it happily burning our each other’s ears off (with matches!-it’s so nice to meet a fellow sado-masochist) and comparing tattoos.  She gave me a small fortune of a tip and asked me to stick around!  Sweet.

A little old lady likened me to James Bond for my driving skills, and a younger Austrian lady informed me that it costs €55 (FIFTY FIVE SQUIDS?!?!?) to have one’s nails varnished at the Ritz-Carlton hotel in Enniskerry.  My, but isn’t that one posh spa.  I hope she buffs first!

-o-

Jefferson has me tagged with one of his own nifty inventions-

“Bring to your consciousness those memoriesof the things you’ve seen and the places you’ve been over the last twenty-four hours. Good. Now select a one-minute sequence of events and try to replay it over and over again in your mind.��?

From “The Three Bears“, by Derec Jones

Whoa… which minute?!  How to choose?!?!  Ok here goes:

I’m sitting on the Putland Road with the door open and the sun shining strong, having a smoke (shhhh!).  The CB radio has been quiet, and the lads out on the streets are getting bored.

– *cchhh* 21, Tommy?

– *cchhh* Yeah go ahead Pa’.

– *cchhh* Do you have a number for this fella? What does he look like?

– *cchhh* 28, K8 – have you got details for this lad?

– *cchhh* Umm, no.  He’s in his sixties, long scruffyish hair. (I release the button and curse loudly – bad rookie!)

– *cchhh* Heh.. sounds like you, Pa’!

– *cchhh* Rrrrrodge.

– *cchhh* Car 11 is clear.

– *cchhh* Yeah clear.  Ehhh… 28, uh.. ehhh.  Whatsit ehhhhhh.. K… uuuuhhhh.. um.. (etc for 12 seconds of forgetful torture while I scream RELEASE THE BUTTON SO I CAN TELL YA!!! at the radio.) uhhhh… Kate!

– I pause to quash a bad dose of giggles… *cchhh* snif – Yeah, go ahead *ahem*

– *cchhh* Sorry there.  Brain blocked. Could you go up to Dunnes there and pick up a Missuz Whotsit with her shopping for 14 Backageegee street?

-*cchhh* Sure thing.  And Tommy?

-*cchhh* Yeah go ahead

-*cchhh* Keep your ‘uuuhhs’ to yourself next time, ok?

-*cchhh* Wha?

-*cchhh* tee hee hee!

I couldn’t believe that someone actually pressed their mike button just to giggle.  How great this job is!

I like this one.  Fair play Jeffo :)

Passing the pencil to: The Benster, Resident Alien, Doc (The Accidental Terrorist may or may not be on to you… he’s being very furtive about penguins lately), Sam Problemchildbride, and Thriftcriminal.

Head. Pillow. Hit. Zzzzzzzz.

1. You’re getting into the swing, I’d love to be starting out again

2. Cool, looks like fun.I’m knackered too. The new job is in town so I have to cycle from the foot of 3-rock to Thomas St. and back every day (driving an utter waste of time).

3. John B says:

>My, but isn’t that one posh spa

Ha. Very funny. She is indeed.

4. Hails says:

>I’ve already met the village idiot and the new Messiah!

One and the same? ;)

He’s not the Messiah, he’s a very naughty boy…

5. Natalie says:

Congrats K8!!! Have just been catching up, last time I read was the spider post so had a lot to absorb. I am also working now, dunno how u find the time, I am SO behind. Good luck with the taxi driving, I am sure you will get some amazing blog material too!!! missed the beach clean up too, hope you will be advertising the next one coz as long as we are in Dub we will be there.

6. Foreigner says:

Born to be a cabbie!

No, really, job satisfaction rules!

I should know, I’ve been there. Granted, several years ago but it still counts!

Roy; Apparently since we’ve started the business has seen it’s worst week in takings! Are you finding things quiet lately?

Thriftcriminal; Heck of a nice cycle though! Why don’tya attatch a carriage and bring fares with you? ;)

John; I have the paint-bombs ready for my first glimpse at a celebrity!

Hails; HA! Yes indeedy!

Natalie; I started a beach-clean blog at the request of the other volunteers :) (Coastcare blog) It’s dull, but it’s functional… problem is, nobody around here knows what a blog is, despite my teaching them how to use it! Ah well.

Foreigner; The burnout sucks, though! Have recently discovered bottled Guarana though… tastes rotten but provides excellent brain kick! I feel sorry for my car… she’ll be run into the ground what with all these mountains and potholes and ramps and things.

Another week and you’ll have enough for a trip to the Ritz- Carlton ;)

10. I’d scare them too much. Could be a thrill seeker market for that though?

11. Kirk M says:

Hey K8,

That sounds sooo familiar. I really enjoyed my years as a cabbie but only because I was driving in a place as unique as Ireland with just the same type of unique characters and that was central Vermont. I got all the stuff you’re experiencing when I was driving down in the in the “city” area (if you could call it that, more like a large village) but the real adventures were way up in the hills of the Green Mountains where the only communication that was available was a cell phone the size of a small suitcase and that was sporatic at best. It was amazing where these people lived (uh…this is a road?)

The company (they had 40 state contracts to service daily) ran 365 days, 24/7, anywhere, any weather, no exceptions. The company even installed 4 studded snow tires on the sedans for the winter months. Amazing where a Ford Taurus sedan will go with 4 studded tires wrapped around it.

Have fun and don’t worry about posting. Where would we go?

12. Natalie says:

The link does not seem to be working, will try again tomorrow.

13. you do realise that bird and her fella probably robbed some gaff and you’re gonna be done for as an accessory?

was there blood on the tip? (keep it clean now)

14. Ben says:

ah feck , more work . .

Thinking required for this one. . .

bbiaw

You were swapped at birth, K8. No way we’re related!

Sitting behind the wheel of a moving car with me behind the wheel really spooked me.

Sitting, moving and providing light entertainment for the people in the back is really really spooky.

Then, sitting driving, entertaining people and talking on the radio is big spookies on a par with giant spiders.

Good luck!!

Mammy/Granny

16. Nick says:

Jeez, 55 euro to have your nails varnished? You could take Ryanair to Poland and have them done there, and still have some change!

Grannymar; I was in the foyer the other day waiting for a punter or three to bring to Dundrum. I got to have a good poke around, and it’s okaaay as posh hotels go… there are two giant urns either side of the door and I’m SURE they’re plastic.

Thriftcriminal; What’s with the frickin’ roadworks around your neck of the woods?!?!

Kirk M; Longhaul cabbing, eh? How great would it be to get to bring a punter 1300 miles? Ka ching! Bummer if he does a runner at the destination, though.

Natalie; You have a discerning computer.

Xbox4nappyrash; They do seem eerily nice, now you say it. Don’t stoke the paranoia, dude!

Ben; *tsk* Pull your finger out, there.

Mammy; A strange lady got me to drive her to the cash-machine, then to the off-license, then home again. Once she got her bags of booze unloaded, she told me she had no cash! Oh how I wish I had your ovaries then ;)
    Stupid cow needs fixing. Do you want her address?

Thriftcriminal; Fair do’s me old mucker.

Nick; This is true. We’re not even talking diamond-encrustment here. They put all their staff in the basement, but you didn’t hear that from me. Ok?

18. Ha! Great stuff!

I’ve just seen this but. The link didn’t register on me dashbooard thingy for some reason but I’ve been having a few problems in the backroom of my blog. This is one of the more interesting memes around – I shall give it a shot!

I find myself getting jealous of your taxi-life. It sounds endlessly interesting – you’re out and about all day; the whole human tapestry is passing right through your car, and you are going to get some cracking stories out of the deal. It’s odd that you should have the Messiah there in Bray with you though, because only last week I saw him dancing across a road in downtown LA. Still, I expect He moves in mysterious ways His wonders to perform an’ that. Must keep him busy.

19. […] she’s hit me with a meme. Which I am sure she knows I detest as much as her ol’ dad, my adopted wee […]