Mar 4

Not so badly memed

Posted on Tuesday, March 4, 2008 in Awards!, memememememe, munchies, On the box

First of all, I’d like to thank Sue Doe Nim from the heart of my bottom for recognising that it is tough work growing up a relatively normal person given the fact that my parents are both complete nutters.

I’d also like to thank her for this:

day_award.jpg

It gives me warm fuzzies to think my printed brain farts are making a difference to her day!

I’m going to pass it on to ten of you fellow brain-farters, just because your blogs cheer me up and get my cogs grinding.  Youz all rock so you doez.

Baino, because I’m raging you live so far away and the Blog Awards gave me a hankering to share a drink with you.
Hailey, for being real in all senses of the word!
English Mum, because I love your blog and your Bert.
Jenny, because your posts are always interesting and I like the way you think.
Manuel, because I like the cut of your jib.
Hairyfish, you are the King of funny quickies!
Dad, because you could do with some iron, and you’re my bloggy idol as well as my reality idol!
Medbh, for keeping it real and because you’re so pretty.
Moo-Dog, because I can’t believe I haven’t discovered your genius earlier!
and
Brian, because you were there from day one :)

I’ve noticed, though, that the award itself is very pretty.  While us ladies love this sort of thing, I’m worried that the blokes will think it a little too… umm… ‘quaint’.  So for you gents who would prefer something slightly more butch, I give you this:

guinness_pint.jpg

This next meme is from Brian who I would also like to thank because his meme is easy-peasy and da’cent craic.

Four jobs I’ve held:
-Pharmacy Technician (Unqualified! I lied my ass off to get that job)
-Dunnes Stores Checkout girl
-Pint puller in a hotel near Bray
-P.A. to the M.D. of a glazing company (This sounds impressive, but there were just two of us working for the company.  Christmas parties were really quiet.)

Four movies I’ve watched over and over again:
The Snapper
The Power of One
Stand by Me
The Labyrinth

Four places I’ve been:
-Stonehenge
-Skinnydipping in the sea on a Donegal beach at night-time surrounded by thousands of tiny glowing swimming ameoba
-In a cave in France with a candle and my dad, surrounded by bats, cavepaintings, and huge white spiders
-Trabolgan (exotic, ooooo!)

Four places I’ve lived:
-Dun Laoghaire
-Kilpeddar
-Wicklow Town
-Terenure
(Not too well-travelled, me)

Four tv shows I watch:
The Shield
The Wire
Weeds
Sopranos

Four radio shows I listen to:
Ray D’Arcy (Today FM)
Jenny Huston’s The Waiting Room
Rick O’Shea (2FM) and I’m not ‘just saying’ that because he’s a bloggerer!
Matt Cooper’s The Last Word

Four things I look forward to:
-Moving house
-The smell of the first lawn-cut of the summer
-Having money to spare again
-Brushing out the dog’s winter coat

Four favourite foods:
-Prawn Curries
-Black Olives
-Spreadable Chocolate Sauce
-Chili Con Carne

Four places I’d rather be:
-Living in my new house
-Thailand
-In the pilot seat of an F14 fighter jet
-Camping in the Grand Canyon

Four people I email regularly:
-Me aul ‘fla
-My buddy Lou
-The Chairman of the local resource group I belong to
-Mathilde, an ex-French student of ours

The rules say that I have to pass this meme on to four people, then comment on their blogs to let them know.  I am however, in Sue-Doe-Nim style, going to break the last part of this rule because I’m on a dial-up connection which has to be disconnected now for the good of my bank balance.  Don’t worry though, I’ll be reminding you in due course…

I pass this meme forward to Me Mammy, Eire Rules, Jenny in her Living Room, and Curly K!  Have fun, ladies!

1. Hmmm, David Bowie. I’m not really sure he should act. Jennifer Connelley turned up in a film called “The Hot Spot” that is worth a watch despite Don Johnson, deep south noir-ish job, not so well known.

You are a camera-ophyle, I don’t suppose you have an old (non-digital) SLR Cannon with a bayonet mount and fancy a zoom lense ? I acquired one lately and I am realising I probably have little use for it.

2. Conortje says:

Nice to see The Snapper there – Colm Meaney was incredible in it!

3. Ben says:

Hairyfish, you are the King of funny quickies!

i would SO have settled for a mixture of everyone elses descriptions:

“Hairyfish, you are the a pretty genius of an idol and you live so far away. share a drink.”

Thrifcriminal; I loved Bowie in the Labyrinth! I was in love with his character when I was around 8 years old. Jennifer Connelley was in ‘Requiem for a dream’ and ‘A beautiful mind’, too… she’s popping up in all sorts of flicks lately.
    Alas I don’t own an SLR Cannon with a bayonet mount, though I’ve been toying with the idea of doing a photography course so if I do, I’ll have to get me one! Headrambles has a fancy camera though…

Conortje; I love that story so much! I used that book for the Leaving Cert instead of ‘How many miles to Babylon’ which didn’t hold much interest for me. The examiners must have liked the change in material – they gave me a B!

Ben; Ha! You should have them write that on your tombstone ;)

5. Medbh says:

K8, you’re a tall drink of water yourself.

There’s one more episode left in the final season of The Wire and I swear I’m going to have a fit and cry when it’s over.

You would LOVE the Shield… ever given that series a go?

It would cure your Wire pangs nicely.

7. englishmum says:

Aw fanks. Bert sends slimey licks too x x

8. manuel says:

Well now I’m all a glow too…….The Wire is the greatest thing on TV ever…..and that’s a fact too……

Our K8 has been condemned to the Colonies for memeing her Mama. I’m maimed enough already!

10. Sue says:

Yes darlin’ yer good for a daily smile.

And being raised by nutjobs like that…. ooh, lucky you!

“K8 has been condemned to the Colonies”
    Huh? The Irish colonies?
    What country did Ireland colonise, the outer Hebrides, the lesser Antilles, france or Poland?

12. *Looks around nervously* Are there any other Jennys round here?

Thank you K8 – you really did make my day! And you’ve broken my meme virginity.

I’m not sure how I feel about this yet. I’ll let you know.

Yeay Kate, you’ve been condemned to the Colonies . . I’ll whack a bottle in the fridge! Thanks for the pretty thingy

@Brianf – America of course. Did you not know Ireland colonised America?

15. comment part II:

I rather enjoyed the meme, so thanks! I was surprised by how hard it is to whittle down favourites to four though.

Also, I just noticed my blog on your blogroll, so thank you also for that. One of these days I’ll get round to organising a blogroll myself – it’s on the endless mental list.

Also, I realise that virginity cannot be broken, be it meme virginity or otherwise (although it is perhaps an interesting concept); what I should have said was ‘taken’!

I forgot to say….. thank you K8.
    Thank you K8! You’re alright!
    I’m going to display my award with pride.

17. englishmum says:

Can I have the Guinness one though? x

Ma; I figured you could use a poke!

Sue; Thanks :) Therapy helps.

Jenny; You could say your meme cherry has been popped! Fair play to you :) Memes are great for storage for those days when your inspiration is having a lie-in.

Baino; You’re more than welcome! I quite like it here in the Colonies, but the people talk funny.

Brian; So you did! You’re a bit of alright too :)

Englishmum; But of course! I had to drink 5 pints before I got the writing right but it was worth it in the end. Bottoms up!

19. Natalie says:

Thanks for the meme k8 it really was quite a fun one!!!

So is your Mega site of Bible studies! ;)

21. Rick says:

I am honoured, particularly in such auspicious company ;-)

22. Waheyyyyyy! Just a TAD slow on the old uptake, both literally and figuratively, I’d like to thank you for the gift of day-making Guinness.

Touched so I am. Although everyone says I’ve been a bit touched for years now. But no matter!

It’s been a good coupla days. First Rosie pays tribute to my farts, and now this. Too kind madams!

Rick; Who you callin’ suspicious?!? You startin’?!

Mr. McDanger; De pleasure iz all mine :) Better slightly touched than six feet under, I always say.