Feb 14

Four diversions with a banana

Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 in Little known facts, munchies

The following is taken from the book ‘211 Things a Bright Boy Can Do’ by Tom Cutler.  All information taken directly from the book is marked by quotations, otherwise the material is summarised by Yours Truly.

1. This is the well known trick of slicing a banana without peeling it.  If you stick a needle through a dark spot and rotate it sideways repeating on the opposite side, then do the same at various intervals, you’ll have an unpeeled sliced banana.  Leaking is involved, so it’s best to have this trick prepared in advance.  “You can leave it in the fruitbowl for an unsuspecting victim, or pretend to cut it with an invisible knife, before peeling it yourself.  Children find this particularly mysterious.”
  2. Get two blindfolded partyfolk to feed each other bananas.  “This can be highly amusing, as you might suppose, and there are many interesting variations possible – which I will leave to your imagination.”
  3. There is a trick you can do with either a peeled hard-boiled egg or a (partly peeled) banana, a wide-necked bottle, and a piece of burning paper.  The idea is to block the neck with the foodstuff of your choice, trapping the flame inside.  The fires need for oxygen should then suck the banana inside, thus peeling it for you.  “But, in all my years of trying this interesting sounding stunt, I have never made it work.  The amount of energy required for the job is apparently just too great.  Nevertheless in the spirit of scientific enquiry, you could try it yourself.”
  4. Planning a boring day out with relatives in a stately home?  Conceal a banana up your sleeve and keep a hold of the top part with thumb and forefinger.  As you pass a small tree, turn your back to the relatives and grab a small branch, pinching the banana against it.  “With great seriousness, draw people’s attention to it saying: ‘It’s amazing what grows here now.  It must be global warming.’  Pretend to tear the banana off, then peel it and eat it.  Gets a laugh every time.”

Mr. Cutler then follows with a wee snipped of banana trivia; “A 1982 law forbade joking about Zimbabwean president Canaan Banana’s name.”

As my own personal number 5, I would like to offer Baino’s further suggestion as it is a classic… “they’re handy for demonstrating the application of a condom!”

I think I will throw a party in order to try No 2!

Hahaha . . .you’re too prolific for me this morning, I’ll have to come back and have a look on the weekend! Seriously, that’s how they used to show us how to do it in Sex Ed at school!

Grannymar; Excellent! Do remember to take pictures, and of course encourage people to take their teeth out.

Baino; Prolific indeed, such a happy Valentines this was, that I could blog without interruptions as long as I didn’t nag TAT about gaming for so long! I think I will sit on my laurels for a few days while the information is absorbed…

Your banana suggestion is excellent, both practical and wise… Phallic fruit is definately a Godsend.

4. I’m definitely trying the needle cutting + invisible knife act for the kids.

5. Doc says:

…long, long ago – though not so long ago that Gradad was young – i belonged to my very first para-military association.

in short, i was a WEBLO.

we spent Thursday evenings in the basement of the local church studying useful para-military things as well as working toward that great good goal of “The Arrow of Light”.

I still, to this day, can not go into the particulars of our training lest I become embarassed, but it is safe to say that we sucked many a hard-boiled egg into 8-oz Coke bottles, all in keeping with our more serious para-military training, of course.

and groovy merit badges.

I’m back and all caught up . . . Excellent! Posh indeed!

And what sort of cucumber were you referring to . . small lebanese or a long thin Telegraph . . .neither do the job as well as a nine inch Queensland narny! And that’s all I’m going to say about that!

Doc; How cryptic!! I myself was involved in a Brownier version, though we never did anything remotely as interesting with eggs… or even vague para-military training. Pity… artilliary would have suited Brown Owl’s demeanour.

8. The girls were highly impressed with my new magic knife that could slice a banana from the inside :-)