Feb 12

Humbled and Bummed

Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 in Awards!, Family, Jobs, Rantings, Strange and Unusual

My life is freaking me out, man.  This taxi lark?  It just keeps sticking it in and breaking it off.  Remember when I was harping on about my disabled vehicle taxi license falling through?  Well, the new application form arrived yesterday, and instead of them charging €270 for a hackney license, guess what?!  They’ve hiked the price up to just over a thousand quid since February 1st.  400% increase!!!  Apparently they weren’t ‘obliged’ to tell us when we were on the phone inquiring about it.  Is this a bad sign?

taxi.jpg

So what do we now?!  I’m sick of sitting on potential resources and not having a clue what to do with them.  There must be something out there we could be good at, and I’m not talking about buying lottery tickets.  The blue-collar job is looming, but we are two reasonably educated people stuck in council housing due to bad circumstances and can’t think of any other way out.  How tough those baldheads make it for people like us to dig ourselves out of this dependancy hole!

That’s how the bummed-out side of me is talking.

The unbelievably happy side of me is bubbling over at the idea that a lot of you people out there like my blog!  I forgot to breathe for those few seconds after I saw my name on the newcomer shortlist, I was so humbled that I made it through, out of so many excellent writers out there.  Delighted too that Hails is with me!  She’s one of my mostest clicked links.

Thank you so much to my nominators and sponsors (buys cocktail for Deborah), and to the judging readers too.  So much material to read and so little time to do it, with such enormous diversity of reading matter- this cannot make for an easy job.  Thanks most of all to the one dude organising all of this… you’ve given so many bloggers great kicks just to see their names up in lights, just to know their ramblings make a difference – the bloggosphere is electric thanks to you.

haironend.jpg

Well done to you K8! Finding time to blog with all the difficulties you deal with on a daily basis, and keeping sane and witty into the bargain ios a lesson to all of us.

2. Kirk M says:

I’m very happy for you and you deserve to be on the shortlist! If you didn’t you wouldn’t be there in the first place. Way to go K8! :D

On the disabled taxi license: You could always find out who was responsible for the fee hike or even the bonehead who decided not to let potential applicants know about it (or both) and anonymously send them nasty magazines wrapped in plain brown wrapping to their business office address. That’s always a fun thing to do.

3. Hails says:

Congratulations K8! You’re one of my favourite bloggers and I’m amazed to be on the list with you. Excited about getting to meet you and everyone else… woohoo!!

4. manuel says:

Best of luck K8! Gonna be fun n that eh…….

5. I was delighted to see you on the Best newcomer shortlist. Best of luck to you, K8. Hope we get to meet on the night. Should be a good one.

As to the taxi business, there is something far wrong with a system that can raise fees 400% overnight and not tell anybody about it. You could write a letter to the editor of your newspaper about it if you don’t get any satisfactory explanation for it out of the clots at the council.

It’s a really cool and valuable thing you’re trying to do – taxis that a disabled person can ride in is something you should be getting a grant for, not something to throw obstacles in front of. Maybe some of the disabled groups in your area could help out and add their clout to ease the birth of your new service. Just a thoughtlet.

Kirk and Sam; you know what? I never thought about getting angry about it. Instead of quietly seething, I could try getting up off my hole and fixing it…
    It is well known among cabbies that there have been pretty drastic changes in all departments to do with the taxi trade, and we all know beureaucrats are a tough breed to fight (they’d probably love to have free nasty magazines arrive on their desktop!), but top marks for thinking of rallying support, Sam :)

Hails; I’ve just finished crochet-ing Grandad’s blue hat for the event!

Manuel; Absolutely brickin’ it. :/

7. Camron says:

Sounds like things are the same the world over. You’re dealing with the Irish equivalent of the American DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles). A thicker morass of asshattery has never been seen. (Unless, maybe, you have to deal with the IRS.)

I think Sam has a good idea – what about getting some advocates for the disabled involved?

Congrats on the short list!

8. Medbh says:

Congrats and good luck to you, K8.
    You deserve it.

9. Sorry I’m late, but gook luck at the awards girl, I’m just going to add a bit of glamour to the occasion, by the way that’s me in the second car