Jan 29

Crappy but happy

Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 in Family, Jobs, Quickie, Rantings

We had a total kick in the nuts, today, careerwise.

We’ve been planning to operate a taxi business between the two of us, using our wheelchair-adapted family car.  There are sod all wheelchair accessible taxis out there in Wicklow, so we would be in high demand – excellent!  Also because there is such a need for these taxis, the gub’ment makes buying disabled taxi plates very very cheap and easy.  We paid €270-something for the hardware, instead of the €6,500 a regular taxi driver would have to pay for his bumphf.  Nice.

Nice except for that devil in those details…

Nobody told us we’d need to supply a wheelchair entrance and a seperate exit from the car!  How bloody big would one’s car have to be?  Everything else is tickety-boo, other than this tiny point.  I almost took a tin-opener to the roof of the darn vehicle I was that pissed off.

Now we have to apply for a refund, sacrifice 50 squids for administration costs, then fork out the original six and a half grand!!!  Sod that for a game of soldiers.  We will just have to go Hackney until we earn that sort of cash.  I hate Hackney.  It’s so limited.

*bah*

I would have lost all faith in today if it weren’t for my chimney cleaning endeavours.  Yep!  I can add soot clearage to my C.V. now.  I didn’t recarpet the sittingroom with creosote, didn’t snap the brush half way up, didn’t even get my jeans dirty!!!  I’m so glad I watched Dad do this dirty deed so many years ago.  I think it’s thanks to him that my skills are so versatile.  It’s a talented person that can both re-wire a television and knit an aran cardigan without being branded a big Jessie.  Not that I’d ever try and re-wire a television set, but I could sure as hell knit one…

I hoped you asked when the buses were going to have two stairways installed! One for going up and another for coming down.

When folk get into a normal taxi do they do the tour, before deciding which door to exit from?

K8 you need ‘Two Tits & One Vote’ on your side!

Welcome to the league of lady chimney sweeps. I have cleaned my chimney for about 20 years now.

Note to self: get that job done sooonnnnnn!

Just remove Puppychild’s seat, and you have a side door.

Mind you, you won’t be able to bring Puppychild around here then, so don’t.

4. That’s a bit of a fucker. Bond style ejector seat? Revolving door? One of the directors of the company I work for was able to negotiate his way in and out of a stretch hummer in vegas despite his wheelchair (Respect to the triceps D).

WTF? Tell them the door they enter is the door they exit. Put a big honkin’ EXIT sign on the door! Fuck ’em and go gypsy cab anyways.

6. That’s a bummer. Freaking bureaucrats! They aren’t good for anything except exits. Exit wounds, as Brian would probably say. :)

By the way, you’ve been tagged again! Ha! :)

7. robert says:

I have to agree with Brian’s suggestion.

But now I’m thinking if they get in the door on the passenger side and exit from the drivers side, would they not get hit by the traffic that is passing you?

Provided you parked on the left side of the road that is

8. Camron says:

I need to have my chimney swept, and don’t want to fork over the $75. Is this something you could teach me? (Online learning is all the rage now…) You could do a “How To” post.

Grannymar; You’re a chimney sweepy chick too?!?! How ’bout that! You know it’s lucky to shake a chimney sweep’s hand? Let’s meet up halfway between your house and mine, we’ll shake hands, and buy a lottery ticket? :)

Da; You could always buy me a bigger car?

Thriftcriminal; Like Joe from Family Guy? :) The ejector seat did cross my mind.

Brian; But the exit sign would be behind their head so they wouldn’t see it to know where the exit was. *sigh*

Jefferson; Even the word Bureaucrats is annoying. Thanks for maming me… beats scrubbing the toiletbowl I guess…

Robert; I’d let them drive the damn car if if meant I got cheap plates. I’ll put your question to the board, though. They’ll probably tell me I’ll have to hire a traffic lady to bring along on my fares or something equally stupid. *sigh*

Camron; I remember the good old days when people never bothered paying for a sweep. They’d just wait until the flue catches fire, then call the fire brigade to put it out as it was a lot cheaper.

I’ll start the cogs turning on a Chimney Sweeping instruction post so, though I won’t be held responsible for damage of valuables, ok? Also you’ll need a monkey, so you might as well go out and buy him while you’re waiting.

10. Medbh says:

There’s always a fucking catch, isn’t there?
    I say screw it and do the rogue cab business in the mean time.

Now aren’t you fibbing about no soot on your jeans?
    How is that possible?

11. Pretty much, but no gun :-)

12. Natalie says:

I bet the people waiting for the non-existent accessible taxis would not give a toss if they did not have a seperate exit, perhaps they can help your cause, there was a piece on the state of wheelchair friendly taxis on the news THIS week.

Medbh; I swear! I was wearing an apron though which might be cheating a bit. ‘There’s always a fucking catch, isn’t there?’ Catch is my middle name…

Thriftcriminal; By the way – Ze Frank rules. He managed to boycott a poker game a few days ago, he was loved that well.

Natalie; It’s all over the news because of the new regulations that were put into place recently. They’re now putting a cap on the amount of plates released to new drivers in the near future, so we’re double-screwed now!!

14. He is the dude. I am proud to have created a RTFEDD animation for him. I am a sports racer :-)