Jan 23

UCD – Stranger than Fiction

Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 in Awards!, Humourarse, On the box, Strange and Unusual

Will Ferrell, the big elf who starred in ‘Stranger than Fiction’, and o’ course the famous sketch The Landlord, is getting an award tonight from UCD’s Literary and Historical Society. The James Joyce Award, if you don’t mind!

When I saw this on the news, I’ve gotta say, I raised an eyebrow in confusion.

He hasn’t written anything, or done anything majorly historical, he’s just a darn funny actor worth €13.7 million per film!

I searched for more information on the superhighway, and I think I found the real reason behind it – Will’s just spent the last two weeks holidaying around Ireland! Of course… I betchya he found himself stumbling around Ranelagh one night and falling into a gang of UCD students, who of course being complete stoners, leapt on him and decided on the spot to award him the major accolade! (For the craic, fair play te ye!)

In the words of James Joyce himself;

“Ireland sober is Ireland stiff.

Or, maybe Shane Hegarty has it sussed better;

…The (James Joyce) Award is:

a) a distinction bestowed on particularly worthy individuals whose achievements should be recognised.

b) a stunning display of flattery calculated to entice big names with big egos.

will-ferrell.jpg

Will Ferrell – Feckin’ chancer!

1. He was funny for a few minutes as Ron Burgundy. I think it’s “b.”

I watch Saturday Night Live, live and Will Ferrell is a yawn. He was funny for about 5 minutes but his one joke got old quickly.
    “Yawn!”

3. Medbh says:

I cannot STAND that man.
    So not funny.
    He recently did a video clip which was supposed to be a parody of “green” or environmental PSAs and it tacked on a gang rape bit at the end of the segment. John C. Reilly was in it, too.
    Because gang rape is so fucking funny.
    Asshole.
    Joyce should be spinning in his grave.

4. manuel says:

Hahahahaha Oh the cynicism…..I love good cynicism…..

Sixty; I think it’s a joke!

Brianf; He’s a bubblegum actor, like Adam Sandler or Ben Stiller. I love their sort of films because they’re stupid and entertaining, but you’re not left with anything to digest afterwards. Certainly nothing deserving of a feckin’ Joyce Award, anyway.

Medbh; Political sattires bore the hell out of me, so I haven’t seen this one thank Allah. I do like Will Ferrell, he’s different and has a great flare… you know what to expect with his flicks.
    He is, however, no genius and hasn’t contributed anything even close to being worthy of an award attached to such a great Irish icon! This is why I was so confused. Now I’m just ashamed.
    UCD are proving that they are a bunch of stoners with absolutely no literary taste at all. For UCD, this is a bad, bad thing.

Manuel; I just can’t believe that this isn’t a pisstake! The Irish Education system will never live this down. I cringe on its behalf.

6. He’s a bit dismaying. I don’t see how he could win any award. At least he didn’t make up an award like Bill O’Reilly did a little over a year ago. He told his audience that he was awarded a prestigious fête from the The philosophical society at Trinity, when in fact all he did was speak. :)

OK. The awarding of an honorary or whatever is very silly . .so is Will. . . if you’re feeling down . . there’s nothing like a dose of Anchorman . . .

Oop… I almost forgot. I won’t be able to make it fellas. Veronica and I trying this new fad called uh, jogging. I believe it’s jogging or yogging. it might be a soft j. I’m not sure but apparently you just run for an extended period of time. It’s supposed to be wild.

or Elf . . .
    First we’ll make snow angels for a two hours, then we’ll go ice skating, then we’ll eat a whole roll of Tollhouse Cookiedough as fast as we can, and then we’ll snuggle.

c’mon folks . . as if that doesn’t deserve an honorary degree!

Oh and take it easy on UCD . . I have a fwend at UCD!

Jefferson; Ha! I think I’ll go and make a few dozen self-awarded awards and stick them on a shelf to cheer myself up on a dull Monday morning!

Baino; I used to go to UCD! That’s why I’m so ashamed. I would’ve expected it of those Trinity scumbags, but UCD? *pft*

9. Sinéad says:

He was given the award for his contribution to comedy as the L&H of UCD have a huge number of serious comedians within their ranks, and before the award ceremony the audience were treated to two up-and-coming stand-up comedians from the L&H.

Also. Will Ferrell ROCKED. :)