Oct 11

Fast and Loose

Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 in Awards!, memememememe

Me daddy – God bless ‘im - threw an award my way recently… this one is the ‘Break Out Blogger’ award:

“This award casts a spotlight on bloggers who are just beginning to draw lotsa attention — the equivalent of a song with a bullet on Billboard’s Top 100 chart. Lotsa good posts. Lotsa good buzz. These bloggers are going places in a hurry.â€?

What a nice feeling.  These awards always seem to arrive with perfect timing!  Lately there’s been a tiny rite-of-passage going on with my blog.  The honeymoon phase is wearing off as my stats get lower and my Google rating still remains a big duck egg, and this used to concern me. I used to get a bang from seeing my Technorati rating go up a notch, but it seems to be asleep lately, and I find myself not really caring so much anymore.  This proves that I’m in it as a hobby, as opposed to worrying about the popularity race.  I don’t really see my blog going anywhere in a huge hurry… but it’s still all good.

There are people who are naturally good at pretty much everything, an all-rounder sort of person.  Then there are people who float just under the surface undetected, like me.  It’s a nice place to be… you can bob up and down without the stress of having to keep afloat.  I found this especially true in school, and was musing through an old school yearbook recently, having a laugh at the awards I never won back then.

You had the Merit Award, the Studies Award, the Academic Achievement Award, the Subject Award, the Senior and Junior Linguist, the Student of the Year, the Dillon Cup, the Talented Teens Award, the Public Speaking award, the Punctuality Award, the Highest Achiever Award, the Sports Awards, the Young Entrepreneurs Award… it goes on and on.  The gas thing about these awards is, even though they apparently give everyone a chance to win something, the same kids got all the awards.  One chick walked away with 11 awards in the bag one year, thus ironically making her the most unpopular child ever.  Jealousy is a bitch.  In all my years at school, I won just one award… a subject award in music, for my fiddling endeavours.  I’d won a cup before I started school at the age of 6 for my piano-ing endeavours, so they went well together.  Along with my blogging awards, it’s appearing to me that I’m a bit of a creative cow.  It’s just hard to get used to!  Sometimes it feels like people are just taking the piss, or carrying through in a tag-like fashion.

I don’t care.  For all the people that bitch about awards being fast and loose, I think the point is being lost.  It’s a wonderful thing to encourage someone’s efforts even if they aren’t in first place.  I think a lot of kids in my old school would’ve loved this sort of boost, instead of being left to feel a bit of a nobody in the end.

So, in this spirit, I’m going to pass the award on to the following bloggers.  Not because it’s a taggy type thing, but because they deserve them.  They are the blogs I go to whenever I need a dose of amusement and weirdness:

Grannymar, you’re brilliant because you have a huge range of soulful subject matter, with a few excellent jokes thrown in.  You’re also an extremely faithful commenter, so this is my way of thanking you for finding the time somehow to leave messages on our blogs and give us all a lift.

Coffee Helps!  Hails, I love reading your posts because you never really know what’s coming next, and at times it feels like I’ve known you for years.  AND I like the way you throw up pictures of pretty men because there’s always a need for pretty men.

Gimme over at Stranded on Gaia, you spew your feelings with such style, it’s an inspiration.  It’s like reading the blog of Withnail.

I’ve only recently discovered Foreigner by Default, but it’s one of the blogs I read most frequently.  You definately know how to entertain!

May you all bob frequently, and with style.

1. Daz says:

While I am no believer in brown-nosing or pointless awards, you are deserving of more recognition than you get.

The weirdest ever award I got at secondary school was the Hear That? That’s The Sound Of Second Place Award. At this stage, I can’t even remember what it was for.

K8. You have what it takes. You are a great blogger and I love reading your posts. You have a great writing style, though I don’t know where you got it from? Maybe one of those things that skips generations? Your grandfather was a great writer, I know.

The Google thing is strange, and I have been making enquiries. You should be a 4 or 5 by my reckoning. If it’s any consolation, your stats are on the way up, slowly but surely. And your Alexa ranking is certainly climbing!

Once you make your move and get broadband, things will be different. Hopefully by then TAT will have sorted himself out with his operation [I’ve already phoned the hospital, and they are going to do the other operation at the same time..].

I expect really big things in the future ;)

Phew! What a relief.

I’m glad you’re not into ratings. One is enough in any family.

Himself calls my attention regularly to his ‘peak’. He could get away for flashing his ‘peak’.

I worry….

Love, Mammy

K8 . . . I concur with Daz, you’re always worth reading and I know exactly what you mean about bobbing below the surface. Comments are nice and all but I’d rather have a few loyalists than lots of fly by nighters. Keep up the good work and thanks for the links to some fresh meat!

5. Hails says:

K8, you’re a star! I’ve never been given an award before. :) It’s made my day to have a good writer say nice things about my blog, which has tragically become my pride and joy. Right back at ya, girl!
    I feel all warm and fuzzy and emotional, now.

6. You say such lovely things, K8.

As this is my first award, I’m unsure of the etiquette…when do I receive my cash prize? I presume that you’ll be needing my bank account number, sort code and internet banking password?

7. Foreigner says:

“Foreigner mumbles and her fragile skill of self-expression in English crumbles into nothingness.

She also acquires heavier than usual thick generic Eastern European accent for at least 2 weeks.”

Thanks, K8! :) I’d hug you but that would be a bit awkward since we’re not THAT well acquainted.

Yet.

8. Well done K8, and thoroughly deserved. Your style is great but there’s substance here too.

Good on ya, hun!

Thanks Daz, but I know you’re biased because I said you were my hero!!! As far as I can recall, a lot of the worlds’ greatest people were playing second fiddle to another entity. After all, first is the worst, second is the best, third is the one with the hairy chest… (Woa, serious flashback.)

Da, you’re a pet, but I think yourself and Twenty are two carmudgeons who can rest easy! ;) Thanks so much for forcing me into this hobby!!!

Mammy, I know… he’s shown me his peak too. Several times. There are tablets you can give him to stop him showing it off to the general public though.

Baino, thanx sistah :) You know, it’s pretty nice to find that there’s a greater buzz in finding new (virtual) friends than in seeing bigger hits… that’s the true essence to blogging I reckon.

Hails and Gimme! I’ve popped your virgin award cherry?! I’m honoured! Gimme, there’s a freephone number you can call to claim your prize, just send me a crossed cheque for €599.99 to cover administration costs and I’ll tell you what it is.

Foreigner, you really don’t write with an accent… I’d no idea despite your pretty obvious blog name ;) And you probably wouldn’t want to hug me anyway, I smell pretty awful lately what with all the windowcleaning.

Sam, coming from an accomplished blogger, your words have me warm and fuzzy, in true Hails style :) Though that could be partly to do with the beer…

Actually I only gave you the award because I thought you deserved it.

And please don’t mention my name in the same sentence as that other c**t. He uses bad language all the time.

I never showed you my peak!!!! Ever. That would be wrong. I showed it to your Ma once or twice though. [I had a huge one yesterday and today :) ]

11. Daz says:

Yeah, that takes me back … now all I can think of is ‘ooey oohey oohey … I’m telling Joey … ‘ and *insert name here* and Darragh up in a tree … K-I-S-S-I-N-G … and so on.

Never found out who Joey was.

12. Daz says:

Not that my name is Darragh of course. Who said it was?