Jun 19

Eco Freakishness

Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 in Family, Jobs

Brittas Bay is an amazing beach in South Wicklow, and is under the jurisdiction of Wicklow County Council. They’re cheeky enough to charge 4 euro for parking at this beach, but they don’t do a whole lot (that I can see) to maintain it.  So today, a local group of volunteers including Yours Truly went to take matters into our own bin-bags.

I’ve been thinking about my granny a lot these days, and haven’t spoken to her much recently so I invited her along… I’m cut from the same cloth as this woman in many ways, and have inherited her love of nature and eco-freakishness above all.

We tackled the undulating sand-dunes on our own- my being a lager-lout means that I can sniff out potential barbeque and camping areas instinctively.  We managed to fill two large sacks with various refuse (you’d be amazed at the things people bring and dump on beach-trips!) within two hours at a rambling pace. Gran used to have a dodgy hip but thankfully that’s not so much of an issue these days so we had great chats while wandering up and down between sand-dunes.  When we finally got back to the meeting area in the car park, we were shattered and pretty surprised to find that the others had left without calling to let us know.  “PART – TIMERS!!” we yelled at the empty parking lot, before pouring our tired bones back into the car.

I’m sitting in the bay-window of her kitchen now with a beer perched on my belly, gazing out into an atmosphere densly charged as a result of a spectacular electrical-storm.  I love this weather.  It makes me want to dance in the rain and incant spells or something, just to revel in the awe-inspiring power of nature.  Dad’s poor doggie isn’t so impressed though.  She’s been cowering behind the sofa for the last hour or so watching me pick sand out of my crevices.

Technically it’s not actually gran’s kitchen anymore, it’s my mum and dad’s… she left the house to them some years ago when she died.  She’s still here though, even if I can’t see her.  She’d be making toast right about now.

I think I’ll pop on the toaster now in fact, with an extra slice for gran.  We deserve it after all that hard work.

1. Tell me it’s raining on Grandad!

It’s raining on Grandad.

You’re weird!
    I mean that in the nicest way.
    That was a great post.
    I have felt that same way about my parents from time to time.

Thanks Brian!! You wouldn’t believe how many people have told me I’m weird! Better to be a weirdo than a psychopath I always say. But there’s still time I s’pose.

Better to be a wierdo than a shallow materialistic Fashionista I always say.
    Wierdos of the world unite!

For one minute I thought you were talking about me!

This dementia is gettin better!

7. Wow! That is a fantastic post K8! I loved the twist at the end. :-)

8. Conortje says:

Gosh – I had totally forgotten but I did the same in Galway years ago. Was part of a beach clean up I mean not bonding with my gran. All my grandparents had died by the time I was born ;-(

Grannymar, I’d have invited you along, but I guessed that picking up used sanitary towels and discarded underwear wouldn’t be your ideal way to spend a Tuesday afternoon.

Thanks JD! I got to listen to my first podcast this morning!! Loved it :) Going back to listen to more later. Damn this dial-up.

Conor, same here with both my grandfathers. Such a shame.
    There’s a lot of hard slog involved with beach cleanups, which is why I was so surprised to find the rest of ’em had buggered off so early! It had the potential to be good craic.

10. Is picking litter on a beach harder than on concrete, and is that the beach where they filmed Saving Private Ryan?

Or was that Curracloe?

11. SID says:

Yup! Brittas Bay is beautiful,but four Euro’s is a bit of a joke,as I found out when I was on hols there.

They don’t collect it at night though.

12. wordnerd says:

What a wonderful post! Yes she’s still with you, and yes, it’s still her kitchen (just ask her, she’ll tell you!).
    So glad Brian pointed me in your direction! Fantastic site!

13. baino says:

I thought I talked to myself all the time. I’m actually talking to my mum, my dad, my husband, my gran . . .in fact any old ghost that will listen!

Good on you for talking on the enviro-pirates!

14. hanulf says:

Gr8 post, K8! Thanks Brian for recommending :) I love that you keep in touch with your gran like that…

15. hanulf says:

K, I tried to leave comments a couple of places earlier, but for some reason they wouldn’t take… trying again:

Great post! Love how you keep in touch with your gran like that… thanks Brian for suggesting! :)

16. Monique says:

K8: Well done, you. And lovely surprise at the end. :) My family home is gone, and my Dad passed over a long time ago – but he pops in occasionally where i live now, and we have a chat. :)

Dario: Saving Private Ryan was filmed on Curracloe Beach – the uncommercialised northern bit. At least it was relatively undeveloped then – no doubt it has changed in the past few years!. Brittas Bay is far nicer though.

Sorry about that… a fuse blew, cutting me off from a few luxuries including the interweb. All comments gratefully approved!!!

18. Nah, you’re just too lazy to repond individually …

We demand commitment!

19. Ignore y typos please – my keyboard has a mind of its own.

Dario picking litter up off a beach is a lot harder than on concrete I’d imagine. You have to walk twice as far as the old feet keep sinking! Very good for one’s Glutious Maximus though.

I couldn’t respond in detail you see, the aul’ pair just returned so I had to tea them up. Ajolopies, supreme overlord, sir.

Thanks Monique, Wordnerd and Hanulf! See Brian, I’m not the only crazy one! HA!

21. b3n says:

I don’t go much for spiritual occurrences at all but I have to tell what happened to me less than an hour ago. I was retuning to work when I spied a mate of mine walking right towards me on the same side of the road. He looked up, gave me a smile and I was about to say hello, when I remembered that this particular mate died 4 years ago of a heroin overdose. He looked exactly like him, the same tousled hair, the same tight jeans, the same jacket, the same distant look and wry smile and carrying the same bag of cans. As I said I don’t go for spiritual occurrences but now i’m a bit spooked.

And K8, you’re absolutely correct about Newgrange, it was Dowth I meant but I didn’t think it was as well known as Newgrange so I used that instead. The joke there was my apathy to my partner’s excitement. There are parts of Newgrange aligned to the Summer Solstice.

22. Good on you for taking the time to clean up after buggers too lazy to do it themselves. Used sanitary towels? Christ. You deserve some kind of an award, woman.

That was a lovely read about your granny too. Glad her hip’s not giving her too much gip these days. :)

3rd nipple: That is sort of freaky alright. It’d maybe make me wonder if there wasn’t something this dude wanted you to know? In a 6th sense sort of way.. Sorry to be anal about the solstices and all that, all that stuff was bet into me in school. Didn’t know about the Dowth gaff though! You learn something new every day. All those people back then must have been on magic mushrooms, mad feckers.

Thanks Sam! I made myself a medal when I got home that day out of a beer bottle cap.

You are a credit to Mrs flannigan.

25. […] this local group I belong to, which tries to fix local issues, such as beach clean-ups for example.  I’m it’s treasurer.  Sounds like an important job, doesn’t it?  […]

26. […] was I doing in Wales?  Well, remember I spent a few hours cleaning the beach at Brittas Bay earlier this year?  Well, a group called Keep Wales Tidy, partnered with An Taisce […]