Jun 14

Like… whatever.

Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 in Awards!, Family, Philosophy, Rantings, Strange and Unusual

I had a sad attack last weekend.

No no no, not that sort of sad, I mean pathetic sad.  I was sitting across from this bloke at a game of poker, when he suddenly asked the dreaded question – “So… anything new?”  I hate this question because my brain instantly swims into oblivion.  I lapse into short-term memory loss, probably a result of all the spliffs I’ve had over the years.  I knew I should’ve listened to Woody Harrelson’s advice.

I took a breath to tell this fellow poker dude about this blogging stuff that I do, seeing as he’s a ‘puter user and all… then stopped.  I gave him the standard generic answer which goes something like:  “Ahh you know, nothing much, same old same old!”  There was probably a ton of information I could have given him, jokes I’ve heard, amusing anectodes, but like I say, the neurons up there just go on strike.

The reason I reconsidered imparting my bloggy address, was that at that exact moment, I was embarrased about it.  It’s a skeleton in the closet of my social life.  This blog is not shocking… I don’t give out blunt personal opinions littered with the fucks and cunts that get your posts noticed.  I’m not politically sharp or astute in any way.  I can’t rant uncontrollably or be violently biased about current affairs.  I can write about the cheesy boring dull things in a naff half-assed sort of fashion, but it just seems so futile.  I scan other blogs, become immensly humbled by their popularity, and wonder what the hell I’m doing here, most of the time.

I just can’t help but wonder what it’s all about, this ongoing strife to appear cool and interesting.  The immense need to be popular and loved.  Who cares what people think, right?!  ‘Fuck the begrudgers’ as the fella says.  So why was it that at a recent family function, when my brother-in-law made some piss-take reference to the fact that he’d read my weblog, I suddenly became deeply embarrased, like I’d just been caught with reams of skid-marked toilet-paper on my shoe?

I don’t know… it might have something to do with the real-life/virtual-life dichotomy.  For some reason it’s like oil and water for me.  Online, I’m proud to be a blogger.  Offline, it’s a coffee stain on my shirt.  Something that you know people might be aware of, but still something you’d rather have covered up.

Which leads me to the new arrival on my menu to the right, here… my blog award nominations.  It’s a daddy’s job to be proud of his kid, to show support whether it’s merited or not.  He’s made a sweet gesture of nominating me for not one, or two- but four categories, for which I’m really grateful.  He has my back.  It’s nice to know that I won’t be picked last for the soccer team.  My shoes are nailed to the floor… I’m not going anywhere, there’s no running away from the bloggy world yet.

I don’t like screaming “vote for me” from the rooftops, so I won’t do that.  I’m just happy the buttons are there.  I’m going to go and vote for myself now, then go and torture myself with my cat-o’-nine-tails for commiting one of the seven deadly sins – again.  Besides, in order to glean 10 minutes for the creation of this post, I’ve had to lock my kids in the attic, and I think I hear one of them splashing around in the septic tank which is never a good thing.

Just one more thing though –

Thanks da!

Aw shucks! Yer welcome.

Don’t mind those un-bloggers. They lack the imagination to understand, and are best left to their own devices.

I see you already have nearly as many votes as me. That won’t do. I’ll have to do some more canvassing on my own behalf. And you are now sitting just under your mother in IrishBlogs.info!!!

K8,
    I have had the same kinda’ feelings of embarrasment too. Then one day it dawned on me that the folks who would sneer or raise an eyebrow are the same ones who watch American Idol and buy Shania Twain albums, so they don’t count. Not in my book anyway. Now I have taken to vague-ing people out when they ask what a blog is or better yet when they ask why I blog. I use lots of techno-speak and mumble something about URL conventions under Web 2.0 and global networking and it’s influence on ERP as seen from an IT administrations point of view and of course then there’s the……..
    I lose 99% by this point and the subject changes. There have been a few who saw right through my bravo sierra and asked for my URL and gave me theirs. That’s cool.
    BTW. you’ve been voted for and you are rapidly gaining on you Dad.

*giggles behind cuff*
    Dad likes Shania Twain…

Thanks for voting for me :)

4. SID says:

I read your cheesy boring dull things in a naff half-assed sort of fashion, and it’s certainly NOT futile.

So don’t stop.

That’s my vote.

Thanks man. I’m thinking about posting blogs while on assorted drugs next. Like a Thesis, for the education of mankind. Coffee just isn’t enough.

6. I can tell you why my blog went private.

I originally told people within my circle of friends to read it, and give me their feedback on it. Then around Christmas, the blog took off, but for some strange reason, they continued to read. Whatever, you know, I’m not going to stop people reading it, or so I thought.
    Then I got some serious accusations levelled at me. Really bullet-to-the-heart stuff, from a guy that I would have considered one of my closest friends, and it was all blog-related. That was one of the contributing factors in my recent mood, and I was shocked by his reaction. So I decided no one but invited people deserve to read it. Sadly, the people who read my blog but just drift through got left out.

Like me, you write pretty personal stuff, and to have someone spit that back in your face with venom alongside it is pretty harsh.
    If people don’t like your blog, then fuck them. Who cares? If people think your thoughts are too dark (more my problem than yours) they’re not going to change them.

Nobody fucks with Dario Sanchez, and nobody should fuck with you either.

7. My rant has a tenuous connection with what you said, just so you know I’m not venting randomly …

8. baino says:

It’s a bit like a smoker going to a party where you don’t know anyone and you feel out on a limb with nothing to do with your hands then you pop out on the verandah for a durry and realise there’s all these people, just like you and it makes you feel involved and less of a freak. I now like it, its sort of an elite club with an infinate number of members.

There are loads of people who don’t even know what a blog is. I get a bit embarrassed cos my best friend thinks I’m internet dating and actively discourages me. She will never discourage me from this evil path bwooaaaarrr!

I will vote when I can remember where I’ve stashed my login and password.

I would NEVER join a club that would have me as a member!!!

Dario, when someone makes an issue out of something one writes, I’m wondering what the motives are.. jealousy that they don’t have a medium to vent? Feelings of exclusion from a group? It hasn’t happened to me yet, but I hate the feeling that I have to be careful what I say in a blog. You’re probably right… fuck ’em.

Baino, that’s a pretty good comparison you have there! Since the smoking ban invaded us, I’ve discovered that the best craic can happen outside the borders of establishment. Where the honesty lies.

Brian – Woody Allen! Such a wise ass.

Throughout this whole commenty thing, I’ve reverted to being Irish again! I’m so happy. *snif*

Woody Allen?!?!
    Try Groucho Marx.

13. Conortje says:

oh you have nothing to be embarrassed about miss – your blog rocks! The non-bloggers are clearly jelaous :-)

14. Jealousy? Try just being a dickhead. A popular dickhead. Works for him.

Thanks Conor :)

Dario, maybe he’s not popular enough…

Who’s not popular enough?

Scroll up a bit there, Da – to Dario’s comments.

18. b3n says:

“I can write about the cheesy boring dull things in a naff half-assed sort of fashion”

Yeah, but you make it funny!!!

Unfortunately, I feel the need to ‘f’ and blind most of the time. It’s only an outlet for the stress of the shitty days at work so that I can retain some sense of normality at home.

And cheers for the comment, on numerous occasions I have pretended to be a bit mental on trains whilst standing on packed ones. It’s fun to watch the general public maintain a 5ft no-mans land between you and them.

Great blog, linked.

Cheers, b3n :)

If you are Bertie’s surgically removed 3rd nipple, you must have been the source of all his powers!