May 22

Paranoia Cha-Cha-Cha

Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 in Something to think about

…So anyway, the following has been on my mind for quite a long time now.

Do you remember the Jim Carrey film ‘The Trumann Show?’

Do you ever wonder if maybe YOU are in the same situation?  You are going through your life performing your basic functions, talking to friends, working your jobs, travelling to and from your daily haunts… but is everything you see real?  Are your friends actors?  Are there cameras stuck in many crevices and button holes in your home and workplace?  When you pass a supermarket with no intentions of darkening its doors, who’s to say said supermarket isn’t empty?  Do places like Timbuctu, or even the Grand Canyon really exist?

Yes!  You might say… I went there last year, it was lovely!  But perhaps you were told to say that.  Maybe YOU are an actor, from my point of view.

You might think I’m writing complete bollocks here, but how do you really know?  Anybody you ask could be an actor.  Any research you do could be set up.  There’s no real way of disproving the fact that life could be one big elaborate set up, created for you, so that others may watch and learn your basic human behaviour.

Perhaps the media sets up stories to provide you with hints or information.  For example, and I’m not being flippant or making light of the situation, but the Madeline McCann story popped up just as I was having a moral crisis about leaving my own children in the car while I nip into Tescos for milk and bread.  Taking both children is a major task, especially if it means you have to wake them up after a sleepy drive.  I also let my toddler fart about in the cul-de-sac of our road unguarded.  I check on her regularly, but who’s to say she won’t get ‘napped?  Some would say that I’m being irresponsible.  Others wouldn’t.  The story made me think long and hard, as did the comments and blogs that have been written on the subject.  I’m sure you’ll all be disgusted by the suggestion that it’s all a set-up, but it doesn’t stop me from wondering.

I know that paranoia is a symptom of mental decline.  This means I could be crazy.  Fair enough.  But if I know I’m crazy, then that means I’m not crazy, therefore my theory above is true.

QED.

All’s I’m saying is, be careful what you say, your friends might be watching you.  (Consider this theory also before you next decide to excavate the contents of your nose.  You could be providing millions with gratuitous entertainment.)

hal.jpg

1. SID says:

Captain Paranoia lives on my shoulder.

On hearing a dog bark 2 miles away just before I nod off, is really an axe murderer standing at the bottom of my bed.

I’m also convinced we are all dead, so it doesn’t really matter…does it?

Please say it doesn’t…please…please.

2. baino says:

Now take your finger out of your nose and back away . . . very,very slowly . . . and the nice man will come and help you put this special jacket on and we’ll give you some pink medicine to help you relax.

Just because you are paranoid doesn’t mean everyone isn’t out to get you.
    Beyond the Truman Show attitude I have often wondered if the Big Brother society has in fact desended upon us. You need not look at London to find it but instead the local highway. The local 6 O’clock news always shows shots of the highway to tell us about the accidents and back ups. The cameras in the grocery store or even in the Rite Aid do nothing but put me in a bad mood as I walk in.
    I am so ready to, “head for the hills”, as it were.

And they reckon the average Londoner is captured on camera something like 500 times a day!!

Right, that’s it. I’m locking myself into my bedroom with the curtains closed to write poetry for the next ten years.

I installed a webcam in there ages ago. And you’ll never find it.

Not for me. I’m making a fortune out of it on the Interweb. Have to fund the retirement somehow…..

What do they think of my latest hairbrush performance of ‘Money for nothing?’

Not bad, but ratings only went up by one point.

10. SID says:

Captain Paranoia lives on my shoulder.

A cat mewing two miles away at night is really that axe murderer at the foot of my bed.

11. Hi K8. I smiled as I read this because I went through a thought phase like that when I was about 13. I got over it….I think. Hello…hello…is there anyone acting there?

12. Deborah says:

Read “Ishmael” by Daniel Quinn… addresses everything you said… interesting read! Like Aldous Huxley for the real world.

Thanks, I will! Always happy to find new material :)