May 13

Astronomy anyone?

Posted on Sunday, May 13, 2007 in Quickie

I’ve just noticed that my last few posts have been very long.  I agolopise for that, I’ll make the next few posts a lot easier to read now that the lengthy stuff is out of my system.

One thing I’ve been wondering about for the last ten years or so but keep forgetting to ask the wandering Wikipedia that is my daddyo:

If the moon revolves around earth, and earth revolves around the sun, why is it that you always see just one side of the moon?  Is there a dark side of the moon, or is it just a coin with two heads?

1. When I tried looking this up on Wikipedia, I got the Pink Floyd album.

The tidal effect between the moon and the earth has slowed the moon’s rotation daramatically; it’s in stationary orbit around the earth and can be accepted that it doesn’t spin on its own axis.

Something like that. It’s been an aeon since I did anything with astronomy in it.

Do you want the fiction or the fact?

Fiction: The Moon orbits the Earth in a period of 27.322 days. The Moon rotates about its owns axis at the same rate. Therefore the same face is always towards the Earth.

Fact: The Moon is nothing more than a stage set in a NASA studio. That’s how they managed to land men on it.

3. Really?

That bastard Encyclopedia Britannica led me astray so.

That is a question I have traveled to the edge of the earth to find the answer to and I have concluded that the giant invisible minotar that keeps the earth in it’s rotation around the sun is helped by a giant invisible bear that allows us to only see one side of the moon because the other side is populated with a warrior race of low level goverment clerks.

It can’t be a coincidence that the moon’s rotation is in perfect sync with it’s orbit around earth. I don’t buy it. But if the moon has stopped rotating, then wouldn’t it be a flatter shape? I am very confused right here. Is the moon just a giant television studio watching our every move ‘Truman Show’ style? Is someone having us on?!? I’ve seen exactly the same smiley face on the moon since I was a puppy. It’s got to be a fix.

The Moon is rotating, otherwise we’d see the other side. The reason it rotates at the same rate as its orbit is something to do with tidal influence.

As well as that, NASA tied a bit of rope between the Earth and the Moon, to be sure, to be sure. They have cameras up there spying on us all, and they wanted everything to be rock[or cheese] steady.

How do you think Google Earth get such great photos? It’s all a conspiracy.

7. Hey, why do you sometimes have an English flag and other times an Irish flag?

Please don’t crack any puns about instant translocation; I’ve exhausted that mine already.

K8 is a conspiracy cooked up by Paisley and McGuinness. They take turns.

She doesn’t exist.

Like the moon.

9. baino says:

You lot are mad:)
    You’ve made my Monday morning!

I’m confused, like Bono. I can’t remember what country I belong to.

11. SID says:

Could someone enlighten me?

What’s the moon?

The founder of a religious cult.

13. SID says:

So not a dead drummer then?

14. I think it’s a massive coincidence that the moon and the sun appear to be the same size during an eclipse, even though they are vastly different sizes and gazillions of light years apart.

Could be someone showing off their backside?